Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

TSP Proxy Index Tracking

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby B2B_Investing » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:09 am

On another thread I was working to find indices to enter into FM as a baseline to compare the performance of my investments.

Part of my portfolio is held in the US Government's TSP program. Since these investments are managed by Blackrock and are not publicly available it is more cumbersome. I did find a morningstar article that determined which funds most closely track for those that want to easily compare investment / portfolio performance by setting up a hypothetical baseline. (The text below is an excerpt copied from the link)

I hope that some on the group find this helpful as I have.

Jason

http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/ ... ?id=348657

C Fund (Common Stock Index)
The C Fund tracks the S&P 500 Index, which focuses on large-cap U.S. stocks.
C Fund Proxy: iShares S&P 500 (SPY) or Vanguard Institutional Index (VINIX)

S Fund (Small Cap Stock Index)
The S Fund tracks the Dow Jones U.S. Completion Total Stock Market Index, which consists of U.S. companies not included in the S&P 500 (mainly small- and mid-caps).
S Fund Proxy: Fidelity Spartan Extended Market Index (FSEMX)

I Fund (International Stock Index)
The I Fund tracks the MSCI EAFE Index, which tracks the performance of developed foreign markets.
I Fund Proxy: iShares MSCI EAFE (EFA)

G Fund (Government Securities)
The G Fund invests in short-term U.S. Treasury securities that are specifically issued to the TSP.
G Fund Proxy: It's tricky to find a precise proxy for the G Fund, mainly because the securities it owns are for G Fund participants only; you won't find them in other mutual funds. However, Vanguard Short-Term Treasury (VFISX) is a reasonable stand-in.

F Fund (Fixed-Income Index)
The F Fund is a total market bond market index fund that tracks the Barcap U.S. Aggregate Bond Index, which includes U.S. government bonds, mortgage-backed bonds, and corporate bonds.
F Fund Proxy: Vanguard Total Bond Market Index (VBMFX) or iShares Barclays Aggregate Bond (AGG).
B2B_Investing

Return to General