Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Support for Interactive Brokers?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby rhelow » Thu May 01, 2014 10:04 am

I just downloaded an evaluation copy of FM and see that Interactive Brokers is not on your list for Online Access. Do you have any plans to add support for them? IB is a pretty substantial brokerage firm and I maintain accounts there.

Thanks.
rhelow

Postby Mark » Thu May 01, 2014 10:17 am

Hi rhelow,

Thanks for trying Fund Manager. Yes, we'd be happy to add support for them, but unfortunately IB does not offer the necessary Open Financial Exchange server to interface with. As a customer of theirs, you might want to contact them, and ask them to make one available.

With IB you can download an OFX formatted file through their website. When you download transactions, choose their "Money" or "Quicken" formats, as those are OFX/QFX formatted files, that you can import with "File / Import / Transactions / Open Financial Exchange..." in Fund Manager. This isn't quite as convenient as retrieving, but is better than manually entering transactions if you have a significant amount.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rhelow » Thu May 01, 2014 11:05 am

Thanks, Mark. Unfortunately, they only support downloading transactions 31 days at a time, so that's a bit awkward for capturing much history. But, as you say, it's much better than entering transactions.
rhelow

Postby silvan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:14 pm

Hi Mark,

Do you know if anything has been changed by now regarding IB supporting FM?

Thanks, Silvan
silvan

Postby Mark » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi Silvan,

I'm not aware of any changes. I don't believe IB has made an OFX server available.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby caffellatte » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:07 pm

Mark wrote:With IB you can download an OFX formatted file through their website. When you download transactions, choose their "Money" or "Quicken" formats, as those are OFX/QFX formatted files, that you can import with "File / Import / Transactions / Open Financial Exchange..." in Fund Manager. This isn't quite as convenient as retrieving, but is better than manually entering transactions if you have a significant amount.

If you are buying any instruments in a currency other than your base currency do NOT download the "Quicken" file. When you select "Quicken", IB provides a QFX file that makes FM think values such as price per share and market value are in the local currency (the currency in which the instrument is traded), but actually they have been converted to your base currency. Mark solved this problem for me by suggesting I try the download labeled "MS Money". This is an OFX file which handles currencies correctly.

My saga is described at https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5536.

BTW IB now allows downloads of transactions for a maximum of 365 days, which is certainly an improvement over 31 days, as reported in an earlier post.
caffellatte

Return to General