Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

How to best update daily prices

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby lucabol » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:41 am

Hi,
I currently use this strategy, but I don't think I'm achieving my overall goal.

1. Options/Internet Settings -> Yahoo
2. I have a task in Vista that every day runs FM with the command line parameters to retrieve the prices

My questions are:
1. Should I use Yahoo(Historical Adjusted) instead?
2. For my investments, I want to automatically download splits (but not dividends as they will come as transactions in the accounts). I don't think I"m doing that now. How should I do it?
3. For my benchmark indexes, I want to automatically download both splits and dividend (assumed reinvested). I don't think I"m doing that now. How should I do it?

Thanks,
.luca
lucabol

Postby Mark » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:07 am

Hi Luca,

I'd suggest something like this:

1) Leave your default server set to Yahoo, so you get automatic daily price updates with the task you have set in Windows.
2) Periodically, manually do a retrieve using "Yahoo (Historical)". Retrieve for your whole portfolio, and only check the option for splits. Also, periodically retrieve for only your benchmarks, but this time retrieve both splits and dividends, and make sure to check the 'reinvested' option.

When using an automatic task, you can't retrieve from the servers that require user interaction, like the Yahoo (Historical) server. This server requires you to tell it the date range, and if you're using the Professional or Advisor version you can also ask it to retrieve splits/dividend information.

To retrieve only selected investments, select them in the Portfolio Editor, right mouse click, and choose "Retrieve Selected Prices".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby lucabol » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:50 pm

Thanks Mark.

This is pretty much what I'm doing. I was hoping there was a process that didn't require the 'manual' piece.

.luca
lucabol

Return to General