Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Default Cash Accounts

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby 93674 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:49 pm

I have one master portfolio with several sub-portfolios. The master portfolio includes stocks from different accounts including IRAs and a regular brokerage account. The sub-portfolios are grouped by investment types, not by investment accounts. (For instance, one sub-portfolio might contain only stocks recommended by a particular advisory service, but those stocks may exist is several accounts.) My confusion is how to arrange default cash accounts, since money cannot be interchanged between accounts, but quite often will pass between sub-portfolios. This creates a problem in calculating the yield on a particular sub-portfolio.

Can you help me figure this out, other than manually tracking the cash.

Al

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:55 pm

Hi Al,

You can either not use a default cash account, and manually record the corresponding cash entries, or you can set up other sub-portfolios, arranged by account. You can have as many sub-portfolios as you want. You can set up sub-portfolios where you group your investments by account, and then other sub-portfolios where you group them in another manner. The same investments can be instantiated in both sub-portfolios. If it is the same investment file, any changes you make in one sub-portfolio will be reflected in the other sub-portfolio as well.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General