Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

TSP Pricing

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby PWatson » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:38 pm

Quick question. Is there a way to retrieve share price info for the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP )?

Thanks,

P. Watson
PWatson

Postby Mark » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:19 pm

Hi P. Watson,

I don't know... If you can find it quoted on any of our supported quote servers, then you can retrieve it from that server. You can find links to all these servers here:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/intrtv.html

Otherwise, if you can retrieve transactions for this account, the closing prices are updated from the broker/fund company whenever you retrieve transactions.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:23 am

I have the same issue. An acceptable way could be the following. This site updates the prices daily in a CSV. If you map the columns you can pull the total history file.

http://www.tsptalk.com/1212/shareprices.html

If you map the columns you can pull the total history file. (At the time of the this writing you did need to copy the historic from the webpage to a spreadsheet) Every time you need to update the prices, just pull the whole file, or just the rows you need. The interface for TSP is not great and the funds are not openly traded on public exchanges. While a little clunky, it should help at least give the data needed for accurate historic information and updated asset values.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby B2B_Investing » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:03 am

A quick update to this thread. It appears that you can now retrieve this information directly from the TSP website

https://www.tsp.gov/investmentfunds/sha ... tory.shtml

I then created a quick spreadsheet template to format the data to a CSV file ready for FM. If anyone is interested in setting up a method of regular updates for this please private message me.

Thanks,

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby RonB » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:29 pm

This is just a thank you to Mark for adding a quote retrieval for the Thrift Savings Plan with the latest module and FM 2016. I have certainly wanted this for a very long time and for any Military, Federal or former Fed employees who have the TSP this will save us time, energy and patience. Thank You! :D
RonB

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:45 pm

Hi RonB,

You're very welcome, glad you found that helpful.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby CGB » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:22 pm

Mark,

Thank you for adding the Thrift Saving Plan quote server.

Just have to add the name of the fund (e.g, C FUND) as the symbol and it downloads the last 25 days of prices.

A great help!

Clarke
CGB

Postby B2B_Investing » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:03 am

Just a special thank you to Mark to the above. This is a tremendous assistance to anyone who is a plan participant: essentially anyone who is US Government Employment or current/retired military servicemember.) Frankly I had quite a bit of code running to automate price updates.

I only noticed it by chance when updating the quote module this morning (to 493) and I scrolled down through the list of supported servers out of curiosity since I noticed one near the top of the list was unsupported. TSP support was added in quote module update 491). Mark I appreciate how the current and installed versions of the modules and program are included in the program generated notification. When a new server like this is added, or another significant enhancement is added, is there a way to have a brief version/update note in that notification? I wish I had noticed this five months ago and only caught it by chance this morning. This meant I was maintaining code I could have retired with the update.

As always thank you for an amazingly powerful program.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby B2B_Investing » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:43 am

Mark just a quick related follow up on this one. Since TSP investments are not publicly traded, there is no asset or sector information available. However, there are indexes that can be used as benchmarks and as proxies for asset and sector allocations. I was alluding to it here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3523

For some retirees TSP investments can constitute a significant portion of one's investment. (For those not familiar the TSP is essentially the 401k plan for US Federal Employees and military personnel, active and retired). This can leave a gaping hole in some of the graphs and reports within FM. Anything to assist here would be helpful. Thanks!

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:59 am

Hi Jason,

B2B_Investing wrote:When a new server like this is added, or another significant enhancement is added, is there a way to have a brief version/update note in that notification?

That would probably be more helpful than the current way we do it... We do maintain a revision history page for the quote module, and post details for each version in the Announcements forum. I have just now added a link to the Quote Module Revision History page at the top of that status dialog that comes up when you check for updates. It will take you here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/int ... sions.html
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:42 am

Excellent. Thank you!

Jason
B2B_Investing

Return to General