Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Pre-purchase questions

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby lite1 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:49 pm

Am considering this software (probably personal - possibly professional) but have not yet downloaded trial as messing around can be time consuming.
1) Is user manual available as PDF? I only see web page manual. With PDF I can annotate and mark it up.

2) Want to confirm this. It seems that FM calculates both IRR and Time Weighted rate of return? Available in both personal and professional?

3) Would it be fairly easy to do the following?
I have perhaps 10 portfolios that I want to track performance on a) in the aggregate; and b) by including just the ones I select. I assume that one can fairly easily create a report for a given time range (when all sub-portfolios actually had assets) and do both a) and b) as separate reports.
One of the things I'd probably like to do is to setup a portfolio for one of the investment newsletters that I use and paper trade it. And compare this portfolio with what I actually do in my portfolio by following the newsletter but tweaking it with my own timing overlays for how fully invested I am versus holding more cash than the newsletter suggests.

This forum seems to be populated with knowledgeable and helpful people and for me this is always a great plus in considering and comparing software options. Thanks for helping me a decision and cutting my learning curve.
lite1

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:06 am

Hi lite1,

Thanks for considering Fund Manager.

1) We do not have a PDF of the complete documentation, but there is a PDF of the quick start guide, you can download here:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/print_manual.html

2) Yes, both TWR and ROI are available in all versions.

3) Yes, you can do this. In Fund Manager you can create as many sub-portfolios as you want, with as much hierarchy as you want. You can report at any sub-portfolio level, and it will include everything beneath that, either sub-totaled or just listed flat, whichever you prefer. You can also create "link" copies of sub-portfolios, and group them in additional ways that you may want to see combined.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby lite1 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:28 am

Thx Mark - very helpful and full response. I saw your or someone else from FM recent comment on the AAII comparison article of software. Sure wish AAII was more accurate. If I like FM, which I expect I will, I will try to make a comment on that inaccurate article from a new user point of view.
lite1

Postby frs001@gmail.com » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:25 am

Hello Mark,

I understand there is a Quick-Start Manual, but have you had the time to come up with a COMPLETE User Guide?. I have been using Fund Manager in an area where the Internet access is less than reliable and a downloaded manual would be more than welcome! A .html, .pdf, .doc version would be fine!

Thanks, François
frs001@gmail.com

Postby Mark » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:03 am

Hi François,

The program comes with the online help. It can be accessed locally, so you don't need an internet connection. The online help is more of a reference manual, as opposed to a getting started guide. From within Fund Manager just choose "Help / Contents..." and you can read the local online help. This is the same documentation (but a local copy) that we have listed on our site here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/hel ... ation.html
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Ivan » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi lite1,

In the past I have also seen an unfair article comparing portfolio managers on AAII. If there is a new one I would also like to comment on it. Can you describe where you saw it?

Thanks,
Ivan H
Ivan

Return to General