Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Moving FM from XP tp WIN 7

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby aneilljr » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:02 am

I cannot believe how confusing and difficult this has been. I tried to follow all the directions and advice. I set up my autoback folder under My Documents instead of under Program files where Fund Manager went when i downloaded it. I thought it was working then I tried to move to another of my 7 portfolios. I got the "access denied" message because it still wants to save to My Data in program files. I changed the portfolio save location to the autoback folder under My Documents I created but I cannot find a a way to redirect MY DATA. Help!!!
aneilljr

Postby Mark » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:14 am

Hi aneilljr,

The autoback folder is unrelated to the location of your data files...

Your data files are your portfolio *.mm4 and investment *.dat files. Did you copy these over from your old computer, or did you restore them? Where are they located? Under XP you were allowed to store data files in your Program Files folder, but you can't do this under Win 7. So, if your data files are stored under Program Files anywhere you'll need to move them. You can do this from within Windows using Windows Explorer. A good place to move your data files to is "My Documents \ Fund Manager". After you've moved the files there, open them from that location by using "File / Open Portfolio..." from within Fund Manager.

If you don't know where your data files are stored, one easy way to see is to add the "Location" field to the Portfolio Editor window. Use "View / List Columns..." to add this column.

For some background info on why you can't save your data under Program Files anymore, see:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/vist ... sions.html
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby aneilljr » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:47 pm

I copied the autoback file from my old computer. It contained the *.mm4 and *.dat files. I am unclear why the program continues to want to go to the Program files location lie it did with XP. How do I tell it to go to another location other than the Program files? That is the issue.
aneilljr

Postby Mark » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi aneilljr,

When you open your portfolio file (*.mm4) you choose where to open it from. You can open a portfolio file using "File / Open Portfolio..." menu command and browse to anywhere on your computer. The portfolio file contains the location of where the investment files (*.dat) should be opened from.

The autoback folder is not the normal place to store your *.mm4 and *.dat files. In much older versions of Fund Manager, the backup copies of your files were stored in the autoback folder, but in recent versions the backup format was changed to a single *.fmb file. I would suggest going back to your old computer, and figuring out where your data files were being stored, and copying those data files over to your new computer. You can either manually copy over the *.mm4/*.dat files, or you can do the backup/restore method. You can do a "File / Backup..." on your old computer, and take that *.fmb file over to your new computer, and do a "File / Restore...". When you do a restore, note the "Original Location" of your investment files. It is listed on the bottom/left, under the list of items to restore. If that original location is not a workable location under WIn 7 (like in Program Files), then choose the restore option to restore to a specified folder, and pick a good folder where your data files can be saved under Win 7. A good location is "My Documents \ Fund Manager".

Have you seen our FAQ on transferring to a new computer? See:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/newcomputer.html
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby aneilljr » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:23 pm

Thank you Mark. All is well.
aneilljr

Return to General