Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Using sub portfolios

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby H08590 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:50 pm

I read your "Portfolio Editor Tutorial" but I have a couple of questions. Using your example, once I have the Jones Family portfolio set up, am I correct that all investments are added into this portfolio? For example, if I had a new fund in TD Ameritrade, I would not add it into the TD Ameritrade portfolio that I started this example with--correct? Once I had the Jones Family portfolio set up, would I even need to keep the TD Ameritrade potfolio? Isn't that portfolio going to get out of date once I start adding to the Jones Family portfolio ?
H08590

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:25 pm

Hi H08590,

Yes, you are correct. You wouldn't use the old TD Ameritrade.mm4 portfolio file anymore, and you could even delete it if you want. You now just use the new Family.mm4 portfolio file only. When you add a new investment in your TD Ameritrade account you add that investment into the TD Ameritrade sub-portfolio in your Family.mm4 portfolio file.

The portfolio file (*.mm4) saves the definition of all your sub-portfolios, and which investments belong in each sub-portfolio. It is usually best to only have a single portfolio file where you store all your holdings in various sub-portfolios.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General