Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Cannot open a portfolio

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby senior » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:29 pm

I have four portfolios and since updating to FM 11.7 I am unable to open and modify the first one of these portfolios. Whenever I select "open portfolio" and chose the first in the table the portfolio editor appears and there is no way (?) to get to the portfolio.

However, when I chose the second, third or fourth portofolio, they open and display as usually. So, please, how can I open and update the first (topmost in the table) portfolio? Until recently, I had graphs displayed.

Greetings,
Peter Petula
senior

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:52 am

Hi Peter,

When you say there is no way to get to the "portfolio", are you looking for a graph? Do you see all your sub-portfolios/investments in the Portfolio Editor okay? If you want to see a graph, look under the "Window" menu, and see if you don't have the graph window already open, but maybe not in the foreground. If it is listed under the Window menu, just select it. If you don't already have a graph window, you can create one by selecting the top level "Graphs" menu, and then the graph type you want, like "Portfolio Value" for example.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby senior » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:33 am

Good morning Mark,

it actually were the graphs I was looking for and I was perplexed that they were gone without any input from me. Under the tab Window for that portfolio I had only one entry (portfolio editor, checkmarked) and no graph. With your help I then found the necessary steps to get the graphs as I prefer them. Surprisingly, the three portfolios (that which were ok all the time) show under the Window tab only one selected window i.e. the graph whereas the first portfolio shows two selected windows: the graph and the portfolio editor, the latter cannot be closed. Anyway, I thank you for your precise help.

By the way, are the display settings stored somewhere? I save the folder "My Data" regularly, could I have retrieved the display setting from this folder?

Have a nice day, thank you

Peter Petula
senior

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:18 am

Hi Peter,

You can close the Portfolio Editor by clicking the "x" close button in the upper/right corner of that window (not the parent Fund Manager window), or by choosing "Window / Close Portfolio Editor".

What windows you have open are stored in your portfolio file (*.mm4). If you have "Options / Save Portfolio on Exit" this saves your portfolio file when you exit. If you close some windows, and then save your portfolio, or exit with this auto-save option on, it will remember which windows to re-open the next time you open that portfolio file.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby senior » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:42 am

Hi Mark,

many thanks for your help. I have been using FM since version 3 and by following the same routine everyday I became confused when suddelny the display looked different, as I never have seen the portfolio editor before. My settings are from many years ago and the updates of FM all worked so fine that I never had to change any one item of my settings. A very fine program, indeed.
I like FM very much (and of course the excellent support).
Greetings from frosty Austria ( -12 deg C),

Peter
senior

Return to General