Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

migrating to a new computer with Win7

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby deastes » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:56 pm

Mark,
I'm having difficulty migrating to a new computer. I tried manually moving FM 10.6. Then I tried downloading FM 11.x but then realized my license key is good only for FM 10. Then I downloaded FM 10.9. When I try to open it I get a portfolio setup dialogue box instead of the registration box. How do I proceed?

Dan
deastes

Postby Mark » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:14 pm

Hi Dan,

In general the steps are to install Fund Manager, and then restore a backup from your original computer. There are more details shown here:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/newcomputer.html

If you are in the new portfolio wizard, you can just cancel that, and then open your portfolio file (*.mm4) if you've manually copied over your data files.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby deastes » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:52 pm

Mark,

[quote="Mark"]

In general the steps are to install Fund Manager, and then restore a backup from your original computer. There are more details shown here:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/newcomputer.html

[/quote]
I tried this but got "access denied" message when restoring to a specified folder, C:\Program Files\Fund Manager. The following may or may not be relevant.

My portfolio editor correctly shows six active funds, but they are located in two folders, some in a Program Files\FM\My_Data route and remaining ones in Documents and Settings\user name\My Documents\FM route. The Backup file created with the above procedure shows many other inactive funds of the portfolio. I don't understand this discrepancy.

As for the failure notice, I don't believe I have any file names that aren't unique.

Do you have any other guidance to sort out problems brought about by many years of undisciplined use of FM?

Dan
deastes

Postby Mark » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:51 pm

Hi Dan,

With Windows 7 regular programs cannot write into the "Program Files" folders, so that would explain why a restore to that location would fail with an access denied problem. Instead, when you restore, specify your "Libraries / My Documents / Fund Manager" folder. This is the default location for Fund Manager data files.

If your backup is displaying more investments than you see in your Portfolio Editor it may be because you have some investments hidden. If you want to verify, turn on "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios". Backups include all open investments at the time you make the backup, including hidden investments.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby deastes » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:23 am

Mark,

In view of your info about file locations, I'm rearranging, purging, and otherwise housecleaning FM folders on the old computer before performing a new backup followed by restore on the new computer. So, which file/folders should be located in the My Documents route and which in the Programs route. For example, Where are the .ini and operational files for FM? I don't see them anywhere. I assume they shouldn't be transferred anyway, but I'm curious about where stuff is stored. What is the folder" Sample"s for?

My first attempt in making a second backup after merging data files returned a message "Backup Failed" though a second .bak file was placed in the Auto backup folder.

Please refresh my memory:
1. Does an investment need to have unique files for two portfolios?
2. What, in the way of investments and portfolios, needs to be open in FM on the old computer when doing a full backup for migration of everything to the new computer?

What conditions have to be met for the auto-backup to work? I thought auto-backup was on, but it's been months since the last one was done. FYI, I generally keep FM open for automated data retrieval and I see where FM needs to be closed for auto-backup to work. That's a dilemma.

Thanks,
Dan
deastes

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:50 am

Hi Dan,

Fund Manager doesn't use .ini files, but it does store your preferences in the registry. These are included in the *.FMB backup files made by Fund Manager.

The "Samples" data ships with Fund Manager and includes some sample data. It should be in your data folder (My Documents \ Fund Manager), or you can delete it.

I'm not sure how you get a .bak file, Fund Manager backups have the extension of *.FMB...

1) Yes, if you have the same investment in 2 accounts, you would want a separate investment file (*.dat) for each investment, so that you can record separate transactions.

2) You should have your portfolio file (*.mm4) open, and that portfolio file should contain all the investments you want included in your backup. Typically most people would only have a single *.mm4 file, but you can have as many as you want. It is easiest to just have 1 though, and use sub-portfolios to organize all your holdings in a single portfolio file.

Yes, the auto-backup happens when you exit the program. You control the frequency, number of backups, and backup location under "Options / General Preferences... / Data".
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General