Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

multible currency display

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby samuel » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:00 am

Hi marc

i am fn personal user. I have different (three) currencies in my portfolio. Am i able to display and draw the protfolio value in more than one currency. I didnt find the solution yet.

thanks
samuel

Postby Mark » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:21 am

Hi samuel,

You can either display your data in the native (assigned) currency, or you can have everything converted to a single "default" currency, and displayed in that default currency. You assign an investment's currency under "Investment Properties...". All transactions/prices should be entered in that investment's assigned currency. You set up how to exchange between each currency and your "default" currency under "Options / Currency Settings...". Fund Manager supports using what we call exchange rate investments to track the daily exchange rates between different currencies. You can assign these in this dialog. For a video tutorial on setting up multiple currencies, please watch this:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/tuto ... video.html

If you want to be able to have multiple "default" currencies, one trick is to not assign any of your investments to the first currency, which is the default currency. You can then change your currency exchange rate assignments, so you can essentially have multiple default currencies.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby samuel » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:51 pm

If you want to be able to have, one trick is to not assign any of your investments to the first currency, which is the default currency. Y

hi marc

yes its exactcly what you said in the last paragraph: I sould have multiple "default" currencies.

But I do not understand your statement for the solution. I am working mostly with value and gain graphs over the entire portfolio
samuel

Postby Mark » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:16 pm

Hi samuel,

Set up all your desired currencies, so none of them are using the "default" first currency position. Then, you can change the symbol for the default currency and the exchange rates so that you can essentially have multiple default currencies. For example, if you wanted to use 3 different currencies: A, B, and C, and have any one of these be the default, set your settings like this:

Code: Select all
For Default A:

Symbol -> Exchange Rate
DefA -> N/A, this is the default
A -> Constant ratio of 1
B -> Exchange Rate Inv B to A
C -> Exchange Rate Inv C to A

For Default B:

Symbol -> Exchange Rate
DefB -> N/A, this is the default
A -> Exchange Rate Inv A to B
B -> Constant ratio of 1
C -> Exchange Rate Inv C to B

For Default C:

Symbol -> Exchange Rate
DefC -> N/A, this is the default
A -> Exchange Rate Inv A to C
B -> Exchange Rate Inv B to C
C -> Constant ratio of 1

You would assign your investments to the A, B, and C currencies, and never the default position, which is the first position, as you'll be changing that.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby samuel » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:25 am

ok i do understand now

I do not only have to change the default but the convert ratios too. thats a lot of work
samuel

Postby Mark » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:17 am

Hi samuel,

Yes, it is. Maybe we could offer memorized currency templates or something to help this, so at least once you set it it up once it is easier to switch back/forth.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General