Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

hierarchy of accts for advisors

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby reddragon » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:09 am

What I have set up looks like this

master Acct
Sub acct - client #1 acct
Sub acct - client #2 Acct

Interesting thing is no matter which one I click on they all have my firm name .mm4 after them in the header. is this correct?
reddragon

Postby aviator » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi Reddragon,

I believe Mark is on vacation until the middle of next week, so I'll try to help as best I can.

First a disclaimer: I'm using Fund Manager Professional, not advisor, version 11.2. I'm not an expert on FM, but I'll do my best to help.

I'm not clear on what you mean when you say "... they all have my firm name .mm4 after them in the header." What header are you referring to? If it's at the very top of the screen -- on the same row as the windows close and minimize button -- my .mm4 file name also appears there irrespective of the sub-account I've clicked.

The portfolio editor is very similar to Microsoft's Windows Explorer in that what you click on the left pane of the screen gets expanded in the right pane.

I hope this answers your question.
aviator

Postby Mark » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:09 am

Hi reddragon,

Aviator is correct, this is normal. Your portfolio file (the *.mm4 that has it's name shown in the title bar) contains the definition of all your sub-portfolios and their properties, like what investments they contain. You generally only have one portfolio file, and have all your sub-portfolios defined/saved in that one portfolio file.

You can think of the *.mm4 file as the file that saves your whole work-space. The terminology of calling it a portfolio file is probably confusing with sub-portfolios. The portfolio file saves all your sub-portfolios, which investments are in each sub-portfolio, which windows you have open, and many of your preferences.

(Thanks for your help aviator, I am on vacation...)
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General