Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Setting up portfolios and sub-portfolios

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby reddragon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:41 am

Just purchased software been through alot of tutorials during my sample period and actually set up two seporate subportfolios. These sub-portfolios however are not set up correctly for an advisor. In one of your tuturials you had a master Portfolio for the advisor Example, LamongeCapitalmanagement, then you had client subportfolios under and you can break it down further into subs if client has multiple accts. How do you create this master portfolio Lamonge Capital management and move the current client subportfolios under this master portfolio?
reddragon

Postby Mark » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:57 am

Hi reddragon,

You would do all of this in the Portfolio Editor window. In this window you can rename, move, copy, etc any sub-portfolio. So, if you want to rename your top-most "Master Portfolio" to "My Business Name", right mouse click on Master Portfolio and choose "Properties...". You can now change the name to whatever you want. To add client sub-portfolios beneath this, right mouse click on that sub-portfolio, and choose "New Sub-Portfolio...". You can create a sub-portfolio with any name you want. If you want to place some accounts in this just created sub-portfolio, drag/drop them. You drag from the right side, onto the parent of where you want it to be located on the left.

You may want to watch the "Portfolio Editor" tutorial, and/or read the online help on this window. It works a lot like Windows Explorer works in Windows for managing your folders.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby reddragon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:48 pm

What do you mean by top most master portfolio. The only portfolios I had downloaded was two with .mm4 behind them. When I go file/open portfolio I get the open portfolio filename and bar. but when i go to View/Portfolio Editor it does not give me an option for the portfolio editor???
reddragon

Postby Mark » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi reddragon,

In general you only want to use a single portfolio file (*.mm4). In a single portfolio file you can have as many sub-portfolios as you want, with as much hierarchy as you need. If you don't see a "View / Portfolio Editor" menu command, then this means you are probably already in the Portfolio Editor window. If you have your 2 accounts in 2 different portfolio files now, you can combine them by using copy/paste. Open up the first portfolio file, select your sub-portfolio, and do an "Edit / Copy". Open up the second portfolio file, or a new one, and do an "Edit / Paste". In general, you'd want your sub-portfolios organized something like this:

Code: Select all
- Master Portfolio
  - Account 1
  - Account 2
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby reddragon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:36 pm

Ok that makes sense, Thx
reddragon