Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

removing unused investment names

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby lizobennett » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:28 pm

Is there an easy way to identify and remove security names which are not held in any account?
lizobennett

Postby Mark » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:23 pm

Hi lizobennett,

Where are you seeing them, that you want to remove them from? If a security isn't in any sub-portfolio, then it shouldn't be in Fund Manager. Are you maybe asking about positions that you used to own, but no longer hold? If so, the recommended way to handle these is to "hide" them, instead of closing them. This way they stay in your historical records. For information on how to hide sold investments, please see:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq_hide_sold.php
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby paulk » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:05 am

As a related question Mark, is there any way that FM can search for tickers which are not held in any subportfolio? I would find this helpful instead of having to manually go through each subportfolio. I am thinking doint a "shares held" custom report would work but I just wanted to ask if there was another way.

With regards to hiding investments in order to keep thier historical performance affect, will a hidden investment show up in a rport in a period when it was held? In other words, if I sell an investment July 1 2011 and subsequently hide it will it still show up in a report dated 1/1/10 - 12/31/10 ?
paulk

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:52 am

Hi paulk,

Are you asking how to see if a certain ticker is not held in any sub-portfolio? If so, there are a couple of ways to do this:

1) Use "Edit / Symbol List..." and this will list all symbols from all sub-portfolios. Use "View / Hidden Investments" if you want to also see symbols of hidden investments.

2) Create any report, like "Portfolio Value" at the top-most sub-portfolio, and list by Symbol, and turn off sub-totals. Sort by symbol.

On your second question, if you "hide" the investments, then no, you wouldn't see them no matter what date range you use for your report. However, if you use the report option to not show investments that own zero shares, instead of hiding, then you would see the investments that owned shares during the report period, even if you've currently sold them. There is more information on this here:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq_hide_sold.php

See the "Reports Only Alternative" section on that page.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General