Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

copying database

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Costas » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:04 am

Hello

Had previously asked a question on how to copy the database to another computer... but unfortunately I could not locate the topic under the archives area..please advise.

Thanks

C
Costas

Postby Mark » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:15 am

Hi Costas,

We have a FAQ on how to transfer Fund Manager to a new computer. You can read this here:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/newcomputer.html

Fund Manager data is not stored in a single database file. Instead, each investment has a file with the extension *.dat. Your portfolio is also stored to a file, but with the extension of *.mm4. If you're not sure where your files are being stored, you can look in the Portfolio Editor. Make sure you have the "Location" and "Filename" fields displayed. If you don't, turn them on with "View / List Columns...".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Costas » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:46 am

thank you Mark..
Costas

Postby Costas » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:57 am

Hi Mark

I try to consolidate all my *.dat files in one folder on my laptop. You see some of them were in a USB stick previously and their location is still the USB stick...
I have already copied all the data files into the laptop folder but their location is still shown in the the USB stick...how do I change that and streamline everything to work from my laptop?

Thank you

Costas
Costas

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:46 am

Hi Costas,

There are a couple of ways you can do this.

1) This is the safest/slowest way. From within the Portfolio Editor turn on the "Location" column so you can easily find all investments to move. Select an investment you want to move, and then do "File / Save Investment As..." and re-save it to the desired location. Repeat for all investments that need to be moved.

2) If you've moved all your *.dat files outside of Fund Manager without having to change the filenames, you can use this method. Exit Fund Manager, and then remove your USB stick, so that the old *.dat investments won't be able to be found when you re-start Fund Manager. Re-start Fund Manager, and when your portfolio file is opened you will be prompted about missing investment files. You will have the option here to choose to open them from a new location. Browse to this new location, and choose the option to apply this same setting to all future missing investments.

When you're done with either of the above 2 methods make sure to save your portfolio so the changes are remembered.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General