Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

BACK UP QUESTION

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby robert1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:34 am

Hi Mark,
3 questions for you.
1. I want to have a separate back up like an on line back up or a portable back up drive for my data. Any recommendations and/or any issues noted with Fund Manager with any of these options?
2. How can I check the version of FM I'm using?
3. How can I determine how space my Fm Data is using on my hard drive?

Thanks,
Robert
robert1

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:25 am

Hi Robert,

1) It is good to keep a backup of your data somewhere safe like this. How were you planning on doing it? You can just use some sort of backup software and backup your auto-backup files (*.FMB) in your backup folder. See "Options / General Preferences... / Data" for where Fund Manager will store the automatically created backups. If you backup this folder to another drive, or to an online backup service, this would be ideal.

2) "Help / About...".

3) Check the size of the folder where you store your data. The default for this is "My Documents \ Fund Manager". If you browse to this folder in Windows, right mouse click on the "Fund Manager" folder, and choose "Properties...". It will show you the size of this folder, which includes everything in it, including your "Backup" folder, which is usually in here too.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby robert1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:30 pm

I'm planning on backing it up to a portable external drive, so i just wanted to make sure there weren't any known issues you had experienced with specific hardware, etc. and/ot to see if you had any recommendatons.

What about determining the version of Fund Manager I'm using question?
robert1

Postby aviator » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:17 pm

Robert,

Don't know if this helps, but here's what I use for backups.

I don't liking keeping anything local for fear that fire, floods or any natural disaster would destroy my backups.

I encrypt my .fmb file and upload it to the cloud. Google, through gmail, offers up to 1 gig of online storage for free. My FM backup is much less than that which allows me to archive different versions. I use Axcrypt to encypt. Having it in the cloud makes it accessible anywhere, and the encryption keeps it secure.

I believe Mark answered your version question in point number two. (To check which version you're on, click Help / About...

Good luck, hope this helps.
aviator

Return to General