Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

One specific STOCK held in multiple PORTFOLIOS

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby abruehl » Fri May 20, 2011 1:55 am

I appologize in advance if a similar question has been answered already in the past.

I am starting to use Fundmanger quite intensively by now and I am quite happy with it. One thing I am not sure how to handle are stockholdings of one particular stock within different portfolios.

(1) I use porfolios to reflect different real phsical trading accounts (depots)
(2) I may purchase one specific Stock (say MSFT) in 3 different portfolios
(3) I created an INVESTMENT MSFT.DAT when I purchased the MSFT stock for the first time with trading account 1 ("Portfolio 1")
(4) Inside Portfolio1 I can now have multiple purchases of the Investment MSFT and they are all within on file, i.e. MSFT.DAT
(5) now I want to purchase MSFT within another trading account ("Portfolio2"). I create a new portfolio, ie. Portfolio2 and try to add the purcahse.
(6) Now, what do I have to do? Create a NEW investment for MSFT which I purchase within Portfolio2? This mens I create a 2nd MSFT.DAT, say MSFT_2.DAT and therein I will collect all purcahses of MSFT made out of Portfolio2.
(7) It thats the way I have to handle this, fine, BUT ...
(8) what if I then transfer MSFT stock from one trading account to another? This is what I indeed do from time to time and I have not found a way to handle this in Fundmanager.

Ideally I would ONLY create ONE INVESTMENT (file) for each security (eg MSFT) and within this investment I can then have multiple purchases, each purchase then linked to a specific portfolio. If I move securities around in real trading accounts all I need to do is to change the purchases which have been moved to another portfolio.

Anyhow, how would I best handle the above mentioned scenario.

Thanks in advance

Alexander
abruehl

Postby Mark » Fri May 20, 2011 10:09 am

Hi Alexander,

Yes, you are correct, you need to create a new investment file for each account holding a security. We have some more info on this here:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq_ ... tments.php

To transfer between accounts, use the "Transfer Between" wizard. This will transfer shares, and maintain your cost basis information.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General