Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Distribution info

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby wizard348 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:57 am

I have a LOT of mutual funds/stocks/etf's etc that I track that I don't own. How can I make sure that when I download the closing prices for these, I also get the distribution information for them.

I have no problem with my Fidelity portfolio's that I own. That information comes right along with my transactions.

But if I use \Edit\Internet Retrieve\Historical Prices and use the Yahoo (Adjusted Historical) to download from, I don't get any distributions. I only go back six months in my historical download. I update all my portfolio's, whether one's that hold things I own or one's that I just track things but don't own, at least once a week.

I tried fooling Fund Manager by showing that I bought 1 share, but that didn't work.

This is the only complaint I have and I have been using this software for a long time.

Thank you
Gary
wizard348

Postby Mark » Wed May 18, 2011 11:35 am

Hi Gary,

In the Pro and Advisor versions, you can retrieve distribution data from Yahoo (Historical) for items you do not own. In the Personal version, you can use the Yahoo (Adjusted Historical), but this needs to be used with care if you are also tracking real accounts. You really should only retrieve your hypothetical investments with this server. This server back adjusts prices before distributions and splits, down to account for these transactions. You don't want this on items you really own, where you have the actual distributions recorded, as you are then double counting.

You can retrieve only selected investments by selecting them in the Portfolio Editor, and right mouse clicking, and choosing to retrieve prices for the selected investments.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General