Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Where to record Investment / Bond ratings?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby nebfinfm » Wed May 18, 2011 8:02 am

Mark,
I would like to record investment (bond) rating, for example "BBB", "A+" etc. Can you suggest which field on the New Investment screen should I use? Im thinking about using the Investment Goal or Asset Type fields.

There is space for 100 User Definitions, I would appreciate if somebody provide list of suggested headings in those fields.
Thanks nebfinfm
nebfinfm

Postby Mark » Wed May 18, 2011 9:59 am

Hi nebfinfm,

Yes, the Investment Goal or Asset Type categories would be a good choice to track this information. I do not have a list of all the standard bond ratings, but I suspect you could probably find it with an internet search.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby wizard348 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:44 am

I put that info including Morningstar ratings, just to the right of the investment name so I don't have to go looking for it every time I open a portfolio or investment.
wizard348

Postby nebfinfm » Wed May 18, 2011 5:35 pm

Hi Mark, thanks for advice. FYI I'm using S&P ratings. The suggestion of Wizard348 to put the ratings next to investment name is a good idea.

I think my question about suggested headings for the Investment Goal and Asset Type fields was not clear. I would like to know what is the general purpose of those fields? I would like to have an idea what categories (besides the pre-defined) other users are using.
nebfinfm

Postby Mark » Wed May 18, 2011 6:29 pm

Hi nebfinfm,

The "Investment Goal" and "Asset Type" categories can be used for anything you want. They provide 2 different ways to break down your holdings. You can report or graph by these categories. For example, when you run a Portfolio Value report, you can list by any of these:

<None>
Investment
Symbol
Asset Type
Investment Goal
Investment Type
Currency

So, if you choose to list by Investment Goal, you can see the value you have in each investment goal category. These can be used for any function you want, there is no one right answer. Using them for figuring out your different risk levels is a perfectly good use. You can then see how you are allocated among the different categories of risk. You can also do all of the performance reports, etc.

One you define your categories under "Options / Category Labels...", you can assign every investment to a category (or multiple categories) under "Investment Properties... / Asset Type or Investment Goal".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General