Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Duplicate .dat Files

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby sumitvarma » Tue May 17, 2011 3:32 pm

Hello,
When I am trying to restore a backup the backup process fails as there are two .dat files by the same name. I noticed that these are the same investments but held in different brokerages. How do I get around this?

Thank you!
sumitvarma

Postby Mark » Tue May 17, 2011 4:05 pm

Hi sumitvarma,

In this case the original .dat files were stored in different folders. I suspect you are now choosing to restore to a specified folder, instead of the original folders?

You have a few choices:

1) If you are transferring from an old computer, go back to your original computer, and re-save every investment to the same folder, giving every investment a unique filename. You can use the "Location" and "Filename" field in the Portfolio Editor to help you. Use "File / Save Investment As...".

2) Choose to restore to the original folder, instead of a specified, single folder.

3) If you can't do #1 or #2, you can restore only selected investments, so you don't have any duplicates. You would have to restore the duplicate investment names to a different directory. Rename the files, and then put them all into the same folder. When you re-open your portfolio file, you may have to close, and re-open the correct, renamed investments that were originally duplicate filenames.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sumitvarma » Tue May 24, 2011 11:39 am

Thanks Mark, I was finally able to restore the investments by re-downloading and saving them in the right location. I have stored these in a shared location. However, if I open the portfolio from a different location, FM doesn't load the memorized reports and my investment goals.
sumitvarma

Postby Mark » Tue May 24, 2011 12:03 pm

Hi sumitvarma,

Your memorized reports and investment goals are stored in the registry. In your backup there is a line that says "registry preferences", which you can restore. You can choose to just restore those and not anything else.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General