Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Missing .dat file

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby cheapsk8 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:54 am

Hi Mark,

I just installed an evaluation version of 11.1 Advisor for purchase over a 10.6 eval. I installed the 10.6 just to get a feel for the software and constructed a few real accounts with historical data. Ok, fine, that was a few months ago.

I have the .mm4 and the .dat files on a shared drive used by two machines.

On one machine, I get an error on startup that says I'm missing a .dat file. On the other, I get no such error.

By my best read of this, I am indeed missing a .dat file because one account contained that investment and shows transactions for that security in the data table for the the account.

How do I fix this?
cheapsk8

Postby Mark » Mon May 09, 2011 9:03 am

Hi cheapsk8,

You may have one .dat file no stored on the shared drive. When you get that error message, it should show you the full path and filename of the missing investment. If the investment file is not being stored in the same location as all your other investments, go to your machine that has this investment, and select the investment, and choose "File / Save Investment As..." and save it to the proper location. Save your portfolio file after making this change as well. The portfolio file remembers the location of all your investments. It remembers them in a relative manner to the location of the portfolio file itself.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby cheapsk8 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:49 pm

Ok great, thanks. I must have misplaced the data file when I moved everything onto the shared drive. I found it in a directory that had nothing to do with fundmanager or even business for that matter. Anyway, I just moved the file over and that seems to have solved that issue.

On another note, I was curious about the best way to proceed with switching brokers from a transaction retrieve standpoint. All of the the prior account data was obtained from TD Ameritrade via OFX. Now that account is with Schwab and I will want to import a Schwablink file.

Do I just switch the brokers for the account and import the Schwablink file? Fundmanager will recognize which data belongs to the appropriate account?
cheapsk8

Postby Mark » Mon May 09, 2011 1:06 pm

Hi cheapsk8,

You will want to turn off the transaction retrieve feature for this account, and change the account number. See the Portfolio Properties... dialog.

With Schwablink you do not "retrieve", you "import" a Schwablink file. The file has account numbers, so it matches up the import based on the account number of your sub-portfolio. Use "File / Import / Transactions / Schwablink...".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General