Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Porfolio Balance Resembles Nationl Debt!

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby mian » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:33 pm

Hi Mark,
Well, not quite 14 Trillion, but something like -243 billion dollars. I can't figure out why it exploded like it did.

Oddly enough, I'd just completed entering in all my portfolio data and was ready to take it from "trial" to "subscriber." Can you help me with this>

Thanks

Michael
mian

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:04 pm

Hi Michael,

The Portfolio Value is the sum of all the investment values in that sub-portfolio. Take a look at your investment values, and see which one(s) are incorrect. One easy way to do this is with a Portfolio Value report. Once you find the one(s) that have an incorrect value, figure out if it is because the share balance is wrong, or the price is wrong (or both) in that investment. The value is simply the market price times the number of shares you own. You can see all this information on that same Portfolio Value report.

If the shares are wrong, then one or more of your transactions are recorded incorrectly. View/edit them in the Data Register. One easy way to open up the Data Register is click on that investment line item in the Portfolio Value report. Set the "Data Type" to "Investments (all)" in the upper/right corner of the Data Register. This will list all your transactions, which are what determines your share balance. If one or more are wrong, select them, and press "Edit...".

If the price is wrong, you can either re-retrieve prices, or manually edit the price in the Data Register under the "Prices" data type.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby mian » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:24 pm

Mark,
I can't find anything wrong with the Portfolio Value Report or within the specific investments; in fact, everything adds up except the subtotaled amount and the gross value.

Everything was ok until I attempted to update values via the internet, and then it blew up. (Also, I may have moved my master portfolio file, though I changed the path so FM would locate it. It loaded, but with that wildly erroneous total.)

I'm at a loss as to what could have generated this error.

Thanks

Michael
mian

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi Michael,

If the total is wrong, then one or more of the line items should also be wrong. The total is simply the sum of all the line items. Try turning on "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios" in case you maybe have a hidden item affecting the total that you're not seeing.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby mian » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:23 pm

Hi Mark,
Yes, that did it...it was a hidden MMF that somehow got wildly blown out of proportion. Thanks for your help and quick response.

Michael
mian

Return to General