Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Dividend not updating default cash account

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Good_Vibe » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:10 pm

Just purchased the professional version of FM last week. Am attempting to enter historical data for a no-load, municipal mutual bond fund (SNDPX). I have established only one sub-portfolio with two investements: (1) the default cash account and (2) the MUNI bond fund. Have imported cash transactions which correctly post to the default cash account. Have also imported purchases which post to the bond fund with a corresponding decrement to the default cash account.

Now the problem: when I use the data register for the bond fund to post a cash (not re-invested) dividend, a corresponding increment transaction is not created in the cash account. Note that a transaction for the dividend is properly posted in the bond account so that the performance of this asset can be monitored.

Since no corresponding transaction is posted in the default cash account, the cash total is incorrect at month's end. The portfolio (consisting of just one default cash account and the bond fund) is correct.

The Investment Transaction report shows the dividend entry in the bond fund but no corresponding entry in the default cash account.

If I post the dividend directly in the default cash account, I lose all ability to track the performance of the bond investment. Of course, the cash total is correct when the dividend is posted to the cash account.

Hope you can help. If I can't get the dividend issue working like I think it should, FM won't work for our needs.

Thanks,
Phil
Good_Vibe

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:50 pm

Hi Phil,

Do you have the cash account "assigned" as your default cash account? In the Portfolio Editor window, right mouse click on your one sub-portfolio, and choose "Properties...". In there you will see an option to assign the default cash account for that sub-portfolio. Make sure you have your cash investment selected. Once you do, any distributed (non-reinvested) dividends recorded in any investments in that sub-portfolio should have a corresponding "purchase" recorded into that default cash account. The default cash account assignment needs to be made at the time you record the dividend.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General