Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Can't open portfolio

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Sinclair » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:49 pm

Finished building a large portfolio. Saved it. Added info to individual investments. Probably closed Win 7 without closing FM first. Now I can't open the portfolio. What do I do?

Win 7 FM 10.8

Thanks.
Sinclair

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:22 am

Hi Sinclair,

What specifically goes wrong when you try to open the portfolio? Do you get an error message, or just not see what you're expecting to see?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Sinclair » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:28 am

The icons on the tool bar jiggle, and nothing else happens. The window stays blank. No error message.

I tried to open an investment by clicking on the dat file, but an error message indicates the file is already open. And nothing happens.
Sinclair

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:33 am

Hi Sinclair,

It sounds like you just may not have any windows open. Try using "View / Portfolio Editor" to open up the Portfolio Editor window, and see if you can see your sub-portfolios and investments okay.

Your portfolio file (*.mm4) remembers what windows you have open, their position, etc. After you get whatever windows open you want (Portfolio Editor, Reports, or Graphs), select "File / Save Portfolio", so the next time you open this portfolio, all those same windows will be re-created just as they were when you last saved the portfolio.

One possibility is that if you close all your open windows, and then exit Fund Manager while the "Options / Save Portfolio On Exit" option is turned on, then you are saving your portfolio with no open windows. It is not necessary to close all the windows before exiting Fund Manager.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Sinclair » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:00 pm

Nothing happens when I go View/Portfolio Editor. The screen is still blank
Sinclair

Postby Sinclair » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:03 pm

OK, I finally got it working again.

Thanks.
Sinclair

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:06 pm

Hi Sinclair,

Glad you got it working again. It sounds like maybe your windows were moved off your screen. If you run into this again, you can use the "Window" menu commands to put everything back to some nice defaults. For example, use "Window / Cascade".
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General