Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

importng IB FX trades

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby ivanf » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:13 am

HI,

I'm a new user of FM and I'm just going through the process of importing historic transactions from my IB account.

I have a question regarding FX trades, by default they appear to get treated as cash transactions to the default cash account. Is there a way to have FX trades treated as trades and not lumped in with all the other cash transactions ?

Sorry if I've missed something obvious....

regards
Ivan
ivanf

Postby Mark » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:45 am

Hello Ivan,

Fund Manager doesn't do anything special for FX trades. This is just a buy or sell of cash, the same as any buy or sell of cash. Are you asking to separate your FX trades into a separate investment from your default cash account? Maybe you can give me a few more details on how it is coming in, and how you'd like to see it?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ivanf » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:04 am

Hi Mark,

yes it would good if they can get separated out somehow as how would I do a capital gain /loss report to capture the trades if they are "lumped" in with other purchase/redemption cash transactions ?

regards
Ivan
ivanf

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:16 am

Hi Ivan,

How do you have things set up now? Couldn't you have your default cash account not be reported in the Capital Gains report, but have all your non-default cash included in the Capital Gains report? This way, you get all your FX trades reported on, but not your deposits/withdrawals out of your default cash.

You have control over which investments are included in the Capital Gains report. You can mark investments as "Tax-Free", or there is also a report option to exclude any cash type investment. See "Options / Report Preferences... / Capital Gains".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General