Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Why Gain%F is not at zero for this euro fund ?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Djobydjoba » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:49 am

Hello Mark,

I have a euro fund, which produces interest income annually, and fees too. However, it's not the cash fund for the portfolio : I've created another one for cash movements.
For this fund, I set the share price to 1, and adjust the number of shares for buys, sells and fees. So the same as a cash fund.

My main question is : why Gain%F for this fund is not at zero (for example in the investment performance report) ? The share price never changes, and is always 1, so the gain%F should be always zero, does it right ?

In the data register window, I've paid attention to the close prices (in the Prices section). They are always 1.

I understand Gain%F is related to distribution per share, so i've looked into the account fee section (data register window). For the fees recorded, the Dist/Shr is not at zero and this doesn't make sense to me that it isn't.

So perhaps i've uncorrectly configured the fund ? Here what I did :
> In properties, I have defined the type : No-Load mutual fund, but not sure it's the best choice however.
> When I record a fee (ie -10€), I set the date, distribution type (account fee), tick Reinvested. And set Value = -10€, shares = -10€ and Price = 1.

I hope my problem is not too badly explained.. Could you tell me if it's normal gain%F is not at zero for this euro fund, and if it's not, how to proceed to correct this ?

Thank you !
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:08 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Since you have interest and fee transactions, the %Gain-F will not be zero. Please see the equation here:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/help ... gainf.html

It is true that in this case the startNAV and endNAV are both 1, but the distributionspershare is not zero. The distributions / share is automatically calculated based on the amount of the distribution, and the number of shares you owned when it was paid. For example, if you owned 100 shares, and then recorded a -10 euro account fee, this is -10 / 100, so -0.1 euro / share. Plugging this into the %Gain-F equation:

(1 - 0.1 - 1) / 1 = -10%
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:00 am

OK, so it's perfectly normal...
Thank you.
Djobydjoba

Return to General