Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Pblm w FM 10.8 and Win 7

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby tomseeley » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:06 am

I suspect this is a Windows issue not one for FM but I'll ask anyway.

I just paid for and downloaded FM 10.8. I also just bought a new desktop running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. FM seems to have been installed in my C:/programs(x86) folder, not my C:/programs folder. I cut/pasted my old FM mydata folder to the programs(x86) path but I don't seem to be able to save stuff. I click yes to all anytime I get the FM convert to new format messages, but when I try to save or even exit, i get a variety of 'access denied' type FM error windows.

What should I do?
tomseeley

Postby Mark » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:13 am

Hi tomseeley,

Fund Manager is a 32 bit application, but it runs fine on both 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows. Windows versions that are 64 bit have both a Program Files folder for 64 bit applications, and a Program Files (x86) folder for 32 bit applications. It is normal for Fund Manager to be installed here.

Starting with Windows Vista, compatible programs can no longer write data files into the Program Files folder. This is why you are getting the access denied message. It is best to store your data files in the folder:

My Documents / Fund Manager

instead of in the Program Files folder. That should fix the access denied error message. For more details on this, please read:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/vist ... sions.html
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby tomseeley » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:04 pm

Thx, Mark. It seems to work fine now.
tomseeley

Return to General