Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Management Fees no longer showing up

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby trqcsc » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:07 am

Hi Mark,

I have 5 different accounts with my financial planner and each is allocated a management fee every month. Ameriprise refers to the charges as WRAP Fees. For 3 years, these fees rolled up correctly to the right account. However March 2010 was the last fee that got posted. There are no management fees of any type that I can track. Did something change around that time that would have cause these fees to be handled differently?

Thanks,
Randy
trqcsc

Postby Mark » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:59 am

Hi Randy,

I don't believe anything changed on Fund Manager's end relating to this. Are you retrieving your transactions? If you look at your account on your broker's website, do you see the fees?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby trqcsc » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:29 am

Hi Mark,

Yes - the fees show up each month on my Ameriprise Statement and online as MGMT FEES by account.

Thanks,
Randy
trqcsc

Postby Mark » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:34 am

Hi Randy,

How are you updating your transactions in Fund Manager? Do you "retrieve" your transactions from Ameriprise? If so, try retrieving again, and just for a test, turn off the option "Skip Transactions Already in Fund Manager". Set the date range for a few days around the fee transaction date, and see if anything shows up when you go to the Preview screen. Make sure to "Cancel", so as you don't duplicate any transactions. This will just tell you if the management fee is coming down in the OFX feed from Ameriprise or not.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby trqcsc » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:03 am

Hi Mark,

Yes - I Retrieve. Just tried your suggestion - setup a retrieve with skip option. I do not see the management fees in the transactions. Hmmmm...now what?
trqcsc

Postby Mark » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:21 am

Hi Randy,

Maybe the management fee isn't being reported by their OFX server for some reason... Take a look in the "xmldump.txt" file, right after you retrieve. See if you see any sign of that fee. For help on finding this log file, read the very bottom of this page:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/tintrtv.html
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby trqcsc » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:57 pm

Hi Mark,

Sorry but I can't locate the xmldump.txt files or other. I have windows vista, but I don't see an appdata folder under users. Any other locations you're aware of?

Thanks
Randy
trqcsc

Postby Mark » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:59 pm

Hi Randy,

The "AppData" folder is a hidden folder. You can turn on the option to display hidden files/folders under "Organize / Folder and Search Options / View" in the Windows Explorer window.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby trqcsc » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:59 pm

Mark,

Just found it - standby...
trqcsc

Postby trqcsc » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:32 pm

Looking at the XMLdump file, I see a few of these:

JRNLFUND
- INVTRAN
- FITID (2010111511403848)
- DTTRADE (20101115010000.000[-6:CST])
- DTSETTLE (20101212181652.556[-6:CST])
- MEMO (MGMT FEE 58688219 101610)
- SUBACCTTO (CASH)
- SUBACCTFROM (CASH)
- TOTAL (-3.83)
trqcsc

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:25 am

Hi Randy,

Interesting. Fund Manager does not support the "JRNLFUND" transaction type. It never has... The definition of this transaction is:

"Journaling cash holdings between sub-accounts within the same investment account."

So, it appears to be moving cash from one cash investment to another one, within the same account. You'll notice the "FROM" and "TO" fields are referring to the same named "CASH" investment, which seems a little odd. I see the memo refers to a mgmt fee, but that is not a reliable way of determining why this money was moved.

I'll see about adding support for this JRNLFUND transaction code. It will most likely just be coded in Fund Manager as a Transfer In/Out depending on the sign of the "TOTAL" amount. Ideally a management fee would be recorded as an account fee, but there are more appropriate ways for account fees to be reported. At least if it shows up as a Transfer In/Out you will know the amount, and can go change it manually to an account fee transaction. Even if you don't make this change, at least your cash balance will stay correct.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:30 am

Hi Randy,

Would you mind emailing me your "ofxretr.txt" log file? That file is the raw OFX file received from your broker, and it would help to have a real sample of this JRNLFUND transaction. I'll send you an email, and if it is okay, you can just reply to that and attach this file.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General