Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Getting started

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Dhirenf » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:38 pm

Installed the evaluation copy and downloaded transactions from my brokerage.

Having been a Quicken user for a while, I expected to see a portfolio page showing all my OPEN positions, but on the right side of the Portfolio Editor, I see every stock that I have ever traded, some with 0 shares, which I assume means that I have no current open position in these equities. How do I remove the equities that I have no open position in from this dispaly or should I even do that?

I guess I am looking for some details on the way in which I should think about using FM vs. my old ways.

I am used to a transaction list that shows each entry and exit of a position and a portfolio summary showing open positions and unrealized gain/loss for each.

Thanks for any insight.
Dhirenf

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:32 am

Hi Dhirenf,

In Fund Manager you would normally 'hide' all your sold positions. This way, they are still factored into your overall portfolio's performance, but you don't see them explicitly listed in the graphs/reports/editor.

To hide an investment, you can either do it manually, or in an automated manner. To manually hide an investment, right mouse click on it, and choose "Investment Properties... / Other" and turn on the "Hidden" attribute. To automatically hide all your sold investments at once, use "File / File Operations / Hide Sold Investments...".

You can control whether or not hidden investments are displayed using "View / Hidden Portfolios/Investments". Hidden investments are always factored into the portfolio's performance/value, but this option controls whether these hidden investments are specifically displayed.

To see gain/loss for each position, you can do this in either the Portfolio Editor, or by creating a report. In the Portfolio Editor, choose "View / List Columns..." and you can select from a variety of fields showing your basis, gain/loss, etc. To create a report, choose the desired report type from the "Reports" menu.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Dhirenf » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:18 am

Thank you for the detailed reply. I will spend some more time exploring these options.
Dhirenf

Return to General