Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Fund Manager Wants to Start on Bootup

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby gmfry » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:46 pm

I'm running version 7.8 under Windows Vista Ultimate. Several weeks ago Fund Manager began starting every time I booted the computer. It is not in my startup folder nor in the list of programs that start from the Registry. I un-installed FM and edited out all references to it in the Registry and then re-installed it. It no longer started with bootup, but every time I started FM manually I got a dialog that read: "Fund Manager. The operation completed successfully." When I clicked on "OK" in that dialog, FM would come up. I was willing to live with that, but yesterday after installing Microsoft Office 2007 SP1, I now get this dialog when I boot the computer and clicking "OK" starts FM. So I'm back to wondering how to stop FM from wanting to start when I boot my computer. I'll appreciate any help on this.
Gerry
gmfry

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:59 pm

Hi Gerry,

Versions 7.x ( including 7.8 ) are not Vista compatible. You will get some odd results running 7.x under Vista, including this message about "Operating completed successfully" whenever you start FM under Vista.

I don't believe the compatibility problem is causing the startup issues though, this seems like a separate problem. Fund Manager doesn't have a built-in feature to start automatically with Windows, so it must be somewhere like in your startup folder, or in the registry. You might try using the 'msconfig' utility to track down why it is starting automatically. Just do "Start / Run..." and enter "msconfig". There is a "Startup" tab that lists all items set to run at startup, and where they are coming from.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby gmfry » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:11 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply, Mark. It appears, then, that I must upgrade to version 8 for it to work without problems in Vista. But if I do that now, will I get caught in a Catch 22 situation where you'll announce version 9 soon and I'll then have to upgrade again?
Gerry
gmfry

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:29 pm

Hi Gerry,

You never have to upgrade. You can continue on using 8.x for as long as you'd like when you upgrade.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby gmfry » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:50 am

Mark wrote:Hi Gerry,

Versions 7.x ( including 7.8 ) are not Vista compatible. You will get some odd results running 7.x under Vista, including this message about "Operating completed successfully" whenever you start FM under Vista.

I don't believe the compatibility problem is causing the startup issues though, this seems like a separate problem. Fund Manager doesn't have a built-in feature to start automatically with Windows, so it must be somewhere like in your startup folder, or in the registry. You might try using the 'msconfig' utility to track down why it is starting automatically. Just do "Start / Run..." and enter "msconfig". There is a "Startup" tab that lists all items set to run at startup, and where they are coming from.

Mark, I've uninstalled version 7 and am experimenting now with version 8 in evaluation mode, hoping this would stop this crazy behavior. I have checked my Startup folder and msconfig startup listing and find no reference to Fund Manager in either. This morning when I booted up my computer, Fund Manager started by itself again about five minutes later. As I mentioned earlier, I scrubbed the Registry of all Fund Manager references that I could find last month and then reinstalled version 7. It did not fix the problem. Any other suggestions for me? Do you know of a specific Registry entry that I should look for?
Gerry
gmfry

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:12 pm

Hi Gerry,

Since it was about 5 minutes after you booted up, it probably isn't anything starting with Windows. That seems too long. Maybe you have a scheduled Windows Task, like maybe for updating prices or something? Take a look at your scheduled tasks under "Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / Task Scheduler".
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby gmfry » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:36 pm

Nothing there, Mark. I'm stumped. When I get the time, I'll try once more uninstalling and then scrubbing the Registry before reinstalling version 8 evaluation. This is not a real big problem -- just an annoyance, but a mystery that I'd like to solve for my own curiosity.
Gerry
gmfry

Postby gmfry » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:44 am

Yesterday I uninstalled version 8 that I've been evaluating since January 12 and scrubbed my Registry of all references to Fund Manager and Beiley Software. I then reinstalled version 8 and it has not started by itself after three bootups yesterday and today. I hope that solves the problem.

However, I am getting a dialog each time now that my evaluation period has expired (not possible since January 12 first install), but when I close it Fund Manager comes up OK. Guess I won't worry about it until my real 60 days is up, at which time I'll be forced to upgrade to 8 if I want to use Fund Manager in Vista.
Gerry
gmfry

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:01 am

Hi Gerry,

Fund Manager's trial period is not 60 days, it is 60 starts. This means each time you start the program, this counts towards the 60 limit. You start getting warnings at around 45 starts, but can continue using it up to 60. You might want to minimize the number of times you start/exit the program to keep your evaluation going longer.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby gmfry » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:08 am

Yes, I discovered my error soon after I sent my last reply. I have just purchased a license for version 8 since it seems now to be behaving properly under Windows Vista Ultimate. I appreciate your helpful and timely responses as a long-time (1992 I believe) FM user.
Gerry
gmfry

Return to General