Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Internet retrieve issues

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby rchapman » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:52 am

Hi Mark.
I have the FM 10.5 installed and all internet retrieve modules appear to be up to date.

I am in Australia and am trying to get prices and some historical data for Australian stocks. I have tried both the "Australian Stock Exchange" setting and the "Yahoo ASX & NZ" setting - with differing - but ncomplete levels of success.

I have tried both the standard ASX codes (eg GDY, ANP, GOLD, ETPMAG) and the yahoo extended codes (eg GDY.AX, ....)

In the case of the Australian Stock Exchange setting - it never seems to get any updates. In the case of the Yahoo ASX & NX setting - some of the codes work some of the time - but I have never successfully updated "gold.ax" or "etpmag.ax" - though I can get quotes for these from the Yahoo finance site manually. It almost looks lie FM isn't sending out requests for these codes for some reason.

Also - this is not really your problem but you might know the answer:
I am unable to find quotes for any of the Australian indexes eg XAO.ax (all ordinaries index), XJOAI.AX (All ordinaries accumulation index). If you have any suggestions how I can import historical data from these indexes into FM so they can be plotted alongside portfolio performance - I would be most impressed...:-)

Regards

Richard.
rchapman

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:34 am

Hi Richard,

Neither the Australian or Yahoo ASX & NZ servers are "historical", so they'll only get current quotes. If you can look up a symbol using your web browser on that quote server, then you should be able to retrieve it in Fund Manager. I just tested retrieving gold.ax from Yahoo ASX & NZ, and it worked properly. Since you mentioned it looks like FM isn't even sending the request, it may be that you have this investment marked to not retrieve. Check this investment's properties, and look at the 'Internet Retrieve' tab. Make sure it is set to "<Default Server>" and the option to "Retrieve Price" is turned on.

Unlike the 4.x versions you were using before, you can now override the global quote server settings on a per-investment basis.

For historical ASX quotes, you might take a look at:

http://www.stideas.com/ASX%20Historical%20Data.htm

I'm not sure if they have indices, but they do offer historical ASX prices you can download and then import into Fund Manager.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rchapman » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:36 pm

Thanks Mark

You were right about my investment properties having the internet retrieve disabled. I'm not sure how or why it came about - but was easily fixed. I'm not having much luck with indexes or historical data though - but I realise this is not really your problem.

Thanks for your help.
Richard.
rchapman

Postby rchapman » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:45 pm

Hi again Mark...

I note aboe that you saiud that the yahoo asx and nz site is not "historical:.
I also note that this link:
http://au.finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=GOLD ... f=2010&g=d

does appear to include historical data. Is there any way I can get this data into FM?

Thanks Mark.

Richard.
rchapman

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:26 pm

Hi Richard,

Yes, retrieve from "Yahoo (Historical)" or "Yahoo (Adjusted Historical)". That historical pricing data is available on those servers.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Paul440 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:36 pm

Hi Mark,

I just wanted to follow up on this issue from my perspective.

Ive been using FM for about 8 years (amazing program!).
Currently using 11.2

Just bought some ETPMAG on the ASX yesterday and cant get it to update prices. All other investments update fine pointing to ASX.

I note below you say that you got price for gold.ax from Yahoo ASX&NZ and I can also get a price for ETPMAG.AX if I use that quote server. However that quote server is sometimes more than 24 hours behind.

Do you know why I can get a price for ETPMAG on the ASX? I can retrieve a price for GOLD on ASX ok.

Is it because the stock code is longer than the others or something silly like that?

If you could let me know if you can retrieve a price for ETPMAG from ASX server that would be very helpful.

Am using the latest versions of your DLLs.

Kind regards,
Paul.

Mark wrote:Hi Richard,

Neither the Australian or Yahoo ASX & NZ servers are "historical", so they'll only get current quotes. If you can look up a symbol using your web browser on that quote server, then you should be able to retrieve it in Fund Manager. I just tested retrieving gold.ax from Yahoo ASX & NZ, and it worked properly. Since you mentioned it looks like FM isn't even sending the request, it may be that you have this investment marked to not retrieve. Check this investment's properties, and look at the 'Internet Retrieve' tab. Make sure it is set to "<Default Server>" and the option to "Retrieve Price" is turned on.

Unlike the 4.x versions you were using before, you can now override the global quote server settings on a per-investment basis.

For historical ASX quotes, you might take a look at:

http://www.stideas.com/ASX%20Historical%20Data.htm

I'm not sure if they have indices, but they do offer historical ASX prices you can download and then import into Fund Manager.
Paul440

Postby Mark » Wed May 25, 2011 10:58 am

Hi Paul440,

The ASX server has the ETPMAG quote under their "Warrants and Structured Products" section. Fund Manager retrieves prices from the "Shares" section, which is a different part of their site. Unfortunately you can't get the ETPMAG in the Shares section, which is why you aren't able to retrieve this quote. For example, see:

http://www.asx.com.au/asx/markets/equityPrices.do

Notice the tabs along the top. Under the "Shares" tab, you can't get ETPMAG, you have to go over to the Warrants/Structured Products section.

It is possible for us to add support for retrieving from the Warrants/Structured Products section, but that would be a new quote server definition. If there is enough demand, we can consider adding support for it. You may also want to look on Bloomberg, if you're not happy with the delayed quote you're getting from Yahoo. For links to all the servers, see:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/intrtv.html

Just go to Bloomberg with your browser, and see if you can find the symbol they use for this investment.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Paul440 » Wed May 25, 2011 3:37 pm

Thanks Mark for the speedy and accurate info. That makes sense. Ill just switch over to Yahoo retrieval for that single investment. Ill also look into the Bloomberg retrieval as well.

Thanks again.
Paul.

Mark wrote:Hi Paul440,

The ASX server has the ETPMAG quote under their "Warrants and Structured Products" section. Fund Manager retrieves prices from the "Shares" section, which is a different part of their site. Unfortunately you can't get the ETPMAG in the Shares section, which is why you aren't able to retrieve this quote. For example, see:

http://www.asx.com.au/asx/markets/equityPrices.do

Notice the tabs along the top. Under the "Shares" tab, you can't get ETPMAG, you have to go over to the Warrants/Structured Products section.

It is possible for us to add support for retrieving from the Warrants/Structured Products section, but that would be a new quote server definition. If there is enough demand, we can consider adding support for it. You may also want to look on Bloomberg, if you're not happy with the delayed quote you're getting from Yahoo. For links to all the servers, see:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/intrtv.html

Just go to Bloomberg with your browser, and see if you can find the symbol they use for this investment.
Paul440

Return to General