Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

How to manage the same stock across multiple sub-protfolios

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby B2B_Investing » Wed May 31, 2023 5:45 pm

Hi Mark,

I have set up my portfolio as the following where the strategies are sub-portfolios

Brokerage A
_____Strategy 1
_____Strategy 2
_____Strategy 3
_____Strategy 4

A have an investment, a stock, that I purchased held and sold in one strategy. I then purchased it years later as part of a second strategy. When I purchased it the second time, it recorded it in the original strategy. I would prefer to have this actually create two investments, one in each strategy, since that would allow an accurate history as well as recording of performance. (Otherwise just moving the investment to strategy two umderstates the first strategy, where there was significant appreciation, and overstates the performance of the second strategy.) The two strategies in question have the same goal.

Any thoughts on how to record this as two investments?

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:14 am

Hi Jason,

If you're recording these transactions manually, just create a second investment, and put it in the desired location. You can read about this here.

If you're retrieving transactions, FM will put new incoming transactions into a matching existing investment if one is found. Matching is done based on the CUSIP property when retrieving transactions. To make FM put the new incoming transactions into a new investment instead, you can change the CUSIP on the existing investment before retrieving, so that the new incoming transaction will not find an existing investment for that CUSIP, and create a new investment for it.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:16 pm

Hi Mark,

I can work with that. I automatically retrieve transactions. What I am reading here is I could "version" the CUSIP of the old investment so it would not update and a new one would be created. This accomplishes what I need here. In other instances where it is across brokers or accounts this is not an issue. Many thanks for the quick response.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby B2B_Investing » Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:30 pm

Hi Mark,

I deleted the transactions I didn't want and tried changing the CUSIP for the original security, downloaded the transactions again, however it didn't work. I at first put "_v1" at the end. I repeated the above and put the V1_ at the beginning incase FM was truncating extra CUSIP digits, however, I had the same result: the transaction was recorded with the original security. When I tried it a third time, I clicked on the transaction details while in the "Previewing Importing Transactions" screen and there answer was "no" to "new transaction." Is there something else I am missing?

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:10 pm

Hi Jason,

Sorry, I didn't give you a complete/correct answer before. You'd actually have to change both CUSIP and Symbol. This is from the online help on how the matching works:

When Fund Manager retrieves transactions from your broker or mutual fund company a CUSIP is reported for each retrieved transaction. When Fund Manager matches up retrieved transactions with your existing investments it first looks for investments with a matching CUSIP. If a matching investment could not be found based on CUSIP, it next looks for a match based on the recorded symbol. Using the CUSIP to match your transactions up with your investments will be more reliable than using the symbol, as some broker and mutual fund companies do not always provide the symbol, although they do always provide a CUSIP.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:41 am

Many thanks Mark. That did it.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Return to General