Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Using FM on a MACBOOK pro M2 and Parallels

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby gbfabiani » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:54 pm

Someone is using FM with Apple Mac M1or M2 processor emulating WINDOWS using Parallels ? I would like to buy a new Mac, but It looks like under Parallels I would have to install Windows 11 Arm Version. Now, will FM run with "Windows Arm version" Thanks !!
gbfabiani

Postby Mark » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:01 pm

Hi gbfabiani,

I know people are running Fund Manager with Parallels, but I'm not sure about the Windows Arm version... Fund Manager is a standard 32 bit x86 Windows program.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby gbfabiani » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:29 am

I know Mark, thanks ! In facts I am running it on my mac(s) since 2010 without any issue, using a VM under Parallels.
Soon or late, I will have to change my current Mac, that why I would like to know if someone already went trough the real experience using M1 or M2 processor . Just to avoid to buy a new Mac and have to return it if I can't use FM on it.
Regards
gbfabiani

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:35 am

Hi gbfabiani,

If you go to their website, at the bottom of this page they list the system requirements:

https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/

which seems to include the M1 and M2 processors. It might be a good question to send to Parallels.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby gbfabiani » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:56 am

I am sure Paralles supports M1 & M2 silicon. The issue is , that The windows version I would have to install will not the X86 ones but the Arm . And the question become if Fundmanager can run with Windows 10 or 11 Arm version ....... Best would be if at least one user of FM already tried this combination Mac/Parallels/Windows Arm/FM , and et me know !
thanks
gbfabiani

Postby drdegroff » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:44 am

I just purchased a new MacBook Pro M2 yesterday and setup a trial version of Parallels 18 with Windows 11. Parallels did install the ARM version, as shown in the Windows menu System>About. Processor is listed as "Apple Silicon" and System type as "64-bit operating system, ARM-based processor." Windows specifications show Home Edition, 22H2, Windows Feature Experience Pack.

I run Fund Manager off a USB drive and was able to run it successfully. I have not yet tried any importing, reports, etc, but I am able to see my portfolio and look at transactions as normal.

I discovered UTM also, which allows you to virtualize an OS (if architectures match) or emulate an OS (if architectures don't match). I plan to try emulating with Windows 10 and UTM today.
drdegroff

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:08 am

Hi drdegroff,

Thanks for sharing this information.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby gbfabiani » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:28 am

Hi drdegroff, thanks to share your experience. It is an encouraging info !!
giovanni
gbfabiani

Postby ChristopherHesh » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:31 pm

CrossOver is a seamless alternative, not requiring a Windows license. I've been using it on an M1 Max without issue.
ChristopherHesh

Return to General