Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Cash data slow to load

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Bruce » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:08 pm

While entering data I'll use cntl - I and the first letter (repeated as necessary) of what I want to get to that investment. If I have Canadian Pacific, Cash, and Caterpillar and want to get to Cat, that's three strokes of the "C" key. Lately FM gets bogged down filling the window when it gets to "cash". About 4 seconds. Is there a way to fix this?

4 seconds doesn't seem like much, but my brain gets in a groove of hitting the key until I see what I want. It busts up the rhythm and I end up flying by Cat to the following one or two based on buffered keystrokes.

If this helps:
The FM backup size is 69meg. The cash.dat file in question is 214k and has 1,160 transactions.

I also have a few sub-portfolios I'd like to delete completely. Those assets aren't my responsibility... the family member has passed, estate closed, etc. I think "close" just hides them and doesn't delete the .dat files. Is there a way to do this easily? The only way I've thought of is to make a list of all the file names (properties / statistics), then close the sub-portfolio, then hunt down each .dat file and delete it.
Bruce

Postby Mark » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:38 pm

Hi Bruce,

What window are you in? I'm not following. Ctrl + I will do a price retrieve? Can you explain a bit more on where you are and what you're doing?

You can "close" the sub-portfolio to remove them. This completely removes them from Fund Manager, but does not delete any data files from the hard drive. Hiding is different than closing. If you really don't want any history of them, just close them, and leave the files alone.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General