Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

"Could not save data for <Investment Name>"

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby El Wealtho » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:36 pm

Getting this dialog box message when closing (and auto-saving) FM as well as when clicking the 'Backup all data' icon.

"Could not save data for <Investment Name>"

This reoccurs with each investment. So cannot save any investments.

Have not made any changes to FM but did update Windows 10 12 hours ago.

Thx.
Last edited by El Wealtho on Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Wealtho

Postby El Wealtho » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:46 pm

I uninstalled the Windows update and FM seems to be working again.
El Wealtho

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:56 am

Okay, glad it is working. Not sure why a Windows update would cause this. If you re-install the update and it happens again, check that your files aren't marked as Read-Only, and are being stored in a writable data folder, like under "My Documents" somewhere (not under Program Files).
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby El Wealtho » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:52 pm

So, Windows did some sort of update now and the same problem arose.

The FM data files are in C:\Users\<account name>\Documents\Fund Manager.

"Fund Manager", "Documents", "<account name>" ... they are all marked Read Only. Unmarking the Read Only boxes does not stick - i.e. they are immediately Read Only again.

Many thx.

EDIT: Have read all manner of confusing information on the internet about the "Read-only" indicator! Apparently, a solid black box within the check box does NOT mean the folder is marked Read-only! (If it IS marked Read-only the box will have a check mark (?))

Sorry to be a pain but I have now spent solid time on this, having again uninstalled a Windows update, this time to no avail. I have also tried a system restore point but no joy.

Fund Manager seems the only program that is affected (and now unusable). Any help you may be able to provide greatly appreciated.
El Wealtho

Postby El Wealtho » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:21 am

OK, many hours later, and after having dismissed all endless rubbish leads from the pile of garbage that is now the internet, I think I've solved it ...

The Windows Update resulted in Windows Security blocking Fund Manager from accessing controlled folders. The fix was to allow FM.exe in "Manage Controlled folder access".
El Wealtho

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:40 am

Hi El Wealtho,

Thanks for sharing your learnings, and glad you were able to figure it out. I hadn't heard of controlled folders before this.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General