Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Rollover IRA

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby finmanjim » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:11 pm

Hi Mark,

I recently rolled over the balance (consisting of mutual funds) in my 403(b) account to a traditional IRA (both held at Vanguard). Most of the mutual funds were converted to Vanguard Admiral shares in the IRA since this share class has lower expense ratios and the Admiral class shares were not available in the 403(b). The Admiral class shares of the mutual funds have different ticker symbols.

While I can create a new portfolio (IRA) in FM and import the current transactions and balances, I will lose all of the transaction detail recorded in the 403(b) portfolio.

What is the best way to accomplish this in FM such that I can retain the previous data, mainly for ROI tracking?

Thanks.

Jim
finmanjim

Postby Mark » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:47 am

Hi Jim,

Here are 2 options:

1) Use the "Transfer Between" wizard. To do this, right mouse click on each source investment, and choose "Investment Data / Transfer Between...". Use this to move all your shares from one account to the other. This will record all the necessary transfer transactions to retain your cost basis. You will end up with 2 sub-portfolios, and 2 investments for each fund you had originally.

2) Leave everything in the original account, but change all the properties and record splits for any share balance changes. Change the sub-portfolio name/account number under "Portfolio Properties...". Change the investment names/symbols/CUSIP under "Investment Properties...". Record a split in each investment that has a new number of shares, with a ratio of <new shares> for <old shares>. In this case you end up with 1 sub-portfolio and 1 investment for each fund you had originally.

It is sort of a personal preference, which way to go. #1 is strictly more accurate in tracking what happened, but you end up with more sub-portfolios/investments. #2 is easier, and makes seeing the historical performance over this transfer time easier.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby finmanjim » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:58 am

Thanks Mark, I'll give it a try.

Jim
finmanjim

Return to Prices and Transactions