Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Handling transfers between currency accounts

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Exspextations » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:39 am

I have a portfolio with three currency accounts for managing investments in different currencies. Occasionally I have to transfer funds from one currency account to another. What is the best way of handling this - two separate cash transactions, one in and one out or is there a way in which they can be linked?

A related question: occasionally I sell a fund in one currency and use 100% of the proceeds to purchase a fund in second currency. Can I handle this as a single transaction or do I have to sell transaction followed by a transfer out transaction from the first currency and then do a cash transfer in to the second currency followed by a buy transaction?
Exspextations

Postby Mark » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:22 am

Hi Exspextations,

To transfer cash between currencies, you would do a sell of one currency, and a buy of the other currency. Only if one of the cash accounts is designated as your default cash account (Portfolio Properties...) could you record it by just entering one side of the transaction. You need one cash investment for each cash currency you hold.

It is up to you, on whether you want this to go through cash or not. If you use the default cash account feature, when you sell the first fund, the proceeds will be deposited into the default cash account, and when you buy the second fund, the proceeds for that investment will come from any default cash account you have for that fund. Since they are different currencies, you can't use the same default cash account, these funds would need to be in separate sub-portfolios, so you can have a different cash account for each currency. It is common to set up sub-portfolios within an account by currency, so you can keep cash separate for each currency.

If you don't want it to go through cash, you can just not use the default cash account feature. Leave the default cash account set to none in the sub-portfolio's properties. In this case you would need to record both sides of the transaction.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Exspextations » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:41 am

Thanks - clear.

I have one additional question on the portfolio editor window, not sure if it fits here or elsewhere in the forum.

I have now got all my investments in the sub portfolios sorted and up to date with the various yield calculations working properly. My question is: What do the numbers under each of the columns at the bottom the window refer to. The column under the value and % Portfolio columns appear to make sense, but the numbers under each of the yield calculations are all showing up as significantly negative, while the individual investments are by and large positive, though some investments don't yet have yields as they were only bought recently; e.g. the individual 1 year yields are: -1.75%, NA, -0.21%, 17.42%, NA, NA, NA, 0.5% 5.73% 15.38% 4.61% 6.46% 9.24% 9.83%, while the figure at the bottom of the window shows -82.17(?) - each investment ranges from 4 to 9% of the total portfolio

Thanks
Exspextations

Postby Mark » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:01 pm

Hi Exspextations,

The numbers at the bottom are the totals for the selected sub-portfolio. Maybe you have some hidden investments that aren't showing, but are factoring into your totals? Try turning on "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios". If that doesn't clear things up, you can also turn on yield logging, under "Options / General Preferences... / Yields". The "Yield" columns in the Portfolio Editor are Return On Investment (ROI) yields, which are time and money weighted returns.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Exspextations » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:43 am

Thanks - stupid of me. This is an old portfolio and I have input the current funds, which are up to date, but have only started inputting the historic investments which is why the numbers at the bottom don't make any sense at the moment. I have transferred all the the cash / dividend transactions, but have only stared loading date for funds previously held and sold. Hopefully, when all the data are loaded the numbers will make sense.
Exspextations

Return to Prices and Transactions