Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Interactive Brokers - Stock Trades in Foreign Currency

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Mr ZN » Wed May 21, 2014 1:21 am

Hi guys,

I am new to the software and am trying very hard to learn the ropes asap.

All trades seem to be importing correctly (from the QFX files), however, my trades in currencies other than the default (AUD) seem to be importing on a converted basis, i.e. Bought 994.HK @ HKD 5.00 but importing with a price of $0.80.

Does IB convert trans prices into base currency when you export activity reports?

If anyone has any tips would be most appreciated!

J
Mr ZN

Postby Mark » Wed May 21, 2014 7:26 am

Hi Mr ZN,

Are you sure it is importing converted, or maybe it is just displaying converted? If you turn off "View / Exchange Rate Adjusted", you can see all your data displayed in the native (non-exchanged) currency.

Also, take a look and see what currency your investment is assigned to under "Investment Properties...".

You can also view your exchange rate settings under "Options / Currency Settings...".

If you bought something in HKD, the investment should be assigned to HKD, and the transaction should import in HKD. If this isn't happening, you can email us the QFX file in question, and let us know a specific transaction to look at, and we can take a look.

I don't know specifically how IB exports QFX files relating to currency, but QFX does support multiple currencies, so it is possible to export/import properly. A QFX file is a text file, so you can also open it up in any text editor, and take a look at how each transaction is specified.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mr ZN » Fri May 23, 2014 9:21 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for getting back to me!

I have taken a closer look at the QFX file and the data is definitely being exported from IB in a converted format. Which is rather strange given that the same report exported as a PDF shows the transaction price in its natural currency.

Would you have any ideas as to how I would set this stock up the fund manager software?
The stocks natural currency is GBP, but IB is exporting the transaction data in AUD. Would like to be able to retrieve prices from the net without buggering the whole thing up.

Thanks for your help!
Mr ZN

Postby Mark » Sat May 24, 2014 10:25 am

Hi Mr ZN,

If the QFX file is reporting everything in AUD, then that is how it will be imported. You might contact IB, and ask them if there is an option to get a more accurate QFX file somehow. You could also either manually enter the transactions for these investments, or modify them after the import, so they are entered correctly.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby caffellatte » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:57 pm

Mr ZN wrote:All trades seem to be importing correctly (from the QFX files), however, my trades in currencies other than the default (AUD) seem to be importing on a converted basis, i.e. Bought 994.HK @ HKD 5.00 but importing with a price of $0.80.

This problem is solved by selecting the option to download a file for MS Money, instead of for Quicken. The file which IB calls "MS Money" is an OFX file and does not have this problem.
caffellatte

Return to Prices and Transactions