Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Schwab OFX data and bond maturity

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby dlevy » Thu May 15, 2014 6:54 pm

My evaluation continues to go well. I'm running into some issues that have been much discussed and wonder what is the latest wisdom. One is the trade date/settlement date problem in reconciling with the brokerage firm. Another is the (random?) appearance of quantities with too many decimal digits (such as CASH of 36.000001). If there are recommendations/best practices I'd be eager to learn of them.

My new issue concerns a bond maturing at Schwab. Their online system shows three transactions: (1) a final interest payment; (2) a credit of cash for the value of the bond called "Full Redemption Adj" on their system; and (3) a debit of the shares called "Full Redemption".

[Aside: Obviously (2) and (3) could be combined into a single "sell" but that's not how there system does it.]

When I import the transactions from Schwab, only the first two transactions appear in my list of pending transactions. The interest payment definitely posted to the proper CUSIP

Of course when I reconcile, the investment shows on Fund Manager, but not at the broker.

Any idea what could be going on?
dlevy

Postby Mark » Fri May 16, 2014 8:46 am

Hi dlevy,

So, the redemption of the bond shares doesn't retrieve? Are you retrieving from Schwab's OFX server, or are you importing from some file? If you look in the importing file, do you see the redemption transaction?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dlevy » Fri May 16, 2014 9:04 am

Mark,

I am retrieving from the Schwab OFX server.

The redemption of shares does not appear in the window "preview importing transactions" although the credit of cash and the final interest payment does (under the correct CUSIP).

The redemption of shares transaction appears both on Schwab's web site and on the statement.

Very odd!

David
dlevy

Postby Mark » Fri May 16, 2014 9:09 am

Hi David,

That does sound odd... Please go take a look in the "xmldump.txt" file right after you retrieve from Schwab, and see if you can find any sign of that bond maturity transaction. For help finding this log file, see the "Technical Details" section at the very bottom of this page:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/tintrtv.html

If you need help, you can email me that file, along with the specifics of the transaction, and I can take a look.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dlevy » Fri May 16, 2014 5:19 pm

Just to close on this, it appears that the Schwab OFX feed omits the redemption of shares.

I'll have to delete the credit for the proceeds, and enter a trade by hand.

Oh well!
dlevy

Return to Prices and Transactions