Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Stock Split creates spurious Div Reinv Tran?

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby dlevy » Thu May 15, 2014 10:40 am

I have tried entering a stock split both manually (Edit...Investment Data...Split) and with Generic Transaction Import.

In both cases, the split seems to be handled correctly, but a spurious dividend reinvestment transaction is created.

For example, holding 300 shares of MRO, I enter the 2-for-1 split on 6/19/2007. The split is fine, but there is a reinvestment of a 3.96 dividend at $1.00/share creating 3.96. If I delete that transaction, I reconcile successfully with my brokerage firm.

Other splits behave similarly.

Why is that transaction created? Can I prevent it, so I don't have to do manual editing?

Thanks,

David
dlevy

Postby Mark » Thu May 15, 2014 10:57 am

Hi David,

I can't reproduce this problem here. Are you sure those reinvestments weren't already in the investment before you recorded the split? If you're able to reproduce this, please email me a specific investment file where you can reproduce the problem, along with the exact split details you're entering to cause the problem.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dlevy » Thu May 15, 2014 11:12 am

Mark,

Upon further review, (blush), the problem was on my end.

I am exporting data from another portfolio management product and manipulating the data in Python to get it into a suitable format to import into Fund Manager.

I found a bug in my Python code (blush again) that created the spurious record when there was a split.

Thanks,

David
dlevy

Return to Prices and Transactions