Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Can't Download Latest Transactions for Vanguard

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby JerryB » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:40 am

Because of Heartbleed, I recently changed the password for my Vanguard account. I then went into PFM and changed the download password for Vanguard to the new password. Unfortunately, ever since changing the password, PFM has been unable to log into my Vanguard account to download transaction detail. Just to make sure that I entered the password correctly in PFM, I reentered it and tried to connect several times without success. I know I'm using the correct password and that it work since I have no problem logging in my Vanguard account using a browser. Does anyone have any idea of what's going on or how I can fix this since I really don't want to have to enter all my Vanguard transactions manually in PFM? Thank you
JerryB

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:50 am

Hi JerryB,

When logging into Vanguard's website, you are logging into their "web" server. When you retrieve transactions, FM is connecting to their "OFX" server. They are different servers, and don't necessarily have to be using the same login credentials. However, for Vanguard they are normally the same. Maybe there is a delay in your password change being propagated to their OFX server. Have you tried using your old password in FM? What exactly does the error message say in FM? I assume it says something about not being able to log in?

If the old password doesn't work, you might need to call Vanguard, and ask them for help. You can ask them about Fund Manager, but if they say they don't support it, just ask them what password to use with Quicken, as that would be the same for Fund Manager.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby JerryB » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:05 am

Thank you for your help. I think I've solved the problem. I saw a note in one of the PFM help pages saying that I should not use special characters in my Vanguard Password. The new password had special characters. I just went into the Vanguard website and changed my password to one without special characters and I think the new password is now working in PFM. Of note, Quicken didn't have any problem connecting to Vanguard and downloading transaction detail using the password with special characters.
JerryB

Return to Prices and Transactions