Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Value and Shares <> Broker's Statement

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby finmanjim » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:40 pm

Hi Mark,

I am entering dividend reinvestment transactions for my investments and I am experiencing an issue with the Value not reflecting the actual Value received for a dividend (I also have the same issue with the Shares reflected on a purchase transaction).

When entering a transaction, I first input (in this case) the value of the dividend and then the shares credited to me by my broker. Please see the attached for an example:

- the dividend amount was $48.21, and I entered this amount in the Value field
- the shares amount was 3.869, and I entered this in the Shares field
- I then tabbed over and the Price field was generated automatically

As you can see from the attached, when I click in the Value field, the value returned is $48.209999. I was under the impression that the Price field would be the only field that would be adjusted such that the Value and Shares reflect your broker's statement.

As mentioned previously, I also had the same issue with the Shares reflected on a purchase transaction not equaling the actual Shares purchased. I followed the same recommendation to enter the Value and Shares and then let FM compute the Price. I "solved" this issue by "selling" .000006 shares to reconcile the records.

Thanks.

Jim
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Screenshot of Dividend Reinvestment
Capture.PNG (30.78 KiB) Viewed 2023 times
finmanjim

Postby finmanjim » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:57 pm

Hi Mark,

Attached is a screenshot of the other related issue I mentioned in the original post, where the Shares did not reflect the actual shares purchased. I entered the transaction as described in my previous post.

Thanks.

Jim
Attachments
Capture3.PNG
Capture3.PNG (56.58 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
finmanjim

Postby Mark » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:43 pm

Hi Jim,

When you enter a transaction, you want to enter the Value, tab over and enter the Shares, and then tab over to Price. The price will change to whatever is necessary to make the Value/Shares/Price consistent. The Price will display up to 6 significant digits, but will be recorded to whatever is necessary to make the 3 fields consistent. Press OK while the Value and Shares are showing exactly correct. If you put the cursor back in one of the other edit boxes, and they change, change them back to display exactly as you want them recorded. You don't want any rounding to go into the Value/Shares fields, all the rounding goes into the Price field. After you edit the Value/Shares field, move the focus to the Price field to allow it to adjust to whatever is necessary, and then press OK.

I would not recommend recording that small adjustment transaction. Instead, edit your existing transaction as described above, so the Value/Shares are exactly correct. For example, change 729.535006 to 729.535 and then tab over to the Price field. The Value should be displaying 8679.17 and the Shares 729.535. Press OK while those 2 fields are exact, and the focus is in the Price box.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby finmanjim » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:57 pm

Hi Mark,

I have done as you suggested numerous times, and the shares keep going back to 729.535006. Same issue with Value field when I enter dividends :?: .

Thanks.

Jim
finmanjim

Postby Mark » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:04 pm

Hi Jim,

Why don't you call the office on Monday, and we can walk through it together on the phone. You should be able to edit the Value/Shares to show exactly what you want, hit the Tab key on your keyboard so the input focus is in the Price field, while the Value/Shares still show exact. Press OK. If that isn't working, please give us a call when you have a minute.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby finmanjim » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:32 pm

Thanks Mark, I'll give you a call.

Jim
finmanjim

Return to Prices and Transactions