Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Transfer In and Transfer Out

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby surendar jeyadev » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:25 pm

Mark,

I cannot find any documentation of 'Transfer In' and 'Transfer Out'. Am I looking in the wrong place.

I had two distinct investments in a IRA subportfolio and rolled over one of them into the other. I used 'Transfer Out' as that is what you suggested one do when moving securities without a sale (e.g. transfer to the Fidelity Charitable Trust). On doing the 'Transfer Out', somehow, the other investment nearly tripled in value! There is no default cash account for this subportfolio.

I fixed everything by hand. But, I could not carry over the original cost basis.

But, back to the question of what the two functions do in a case like this, which is really a kind of consolidation of two separate accounts and investments into one.

thanks
sj
surendar jeyadev

Postby Mark » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:18 pm

Hi sj,

If you're looking for the official documentation, you can start here:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/help ... nsfer.html

You can also press the "Help..." button while in any of the transfer dialogs.

If you want to transfer from one account to another, you can use the "Transfer Between" wizard. This will record a Transfer Out transaction, and one or more Transfer In transactions, to maintain all your cost basis. You can also record just a transfer out or in transaction. All of these are available by right mouse clicking on an investment, and looking under the "Investment Data" menu. They are available other ways too, but this is an easy way to get there.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby surendar jeyadev » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:06 am

Mark,

Thanks -- I was trying to use the Index Search with too many keywords. I see it now.

I need a bit more help on this. I have restored the original positions from backup
so that I can get the correct cost basis, etc. My situation is, to be a bit more clear,
as follows:

I had two mutual funds (in two different companies) in the portfolio. I rolled over
one of them to a new fund. What I am trying to do is 'Transfer Out' of the old fund
and 'Transfer In' into the new. Perhaps this is the wrong way to go about it. What
do I do to ensure that the original cost basis information is not lost?

Another question about OOP. Not sure what to use when there is a Transfer In
and a Transfer Out. My guess is that one uses that actual cost basis during the
Transfer In, but there is nothing in the 'Transfer Out' as there are no transaction
costs. Am I right on this?

thanks
sj
surendar jeyadev

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:07 am

Hi sj,

For this case just use the "Transfer Between" wizard. That will record all the transfer in/out transactions for you. It will record a single transfer out in the source and one transfer in to the destination for each source open lot at the time of the transfer. This will maintain all your cost basis information as the shares are transferred.

If you use the Transfer Between wizard it will record all the OOP costs for you. OOP cost is a Fund Manager calculated cost, that shows your break even point. It differs from your tax cost basis in that it includes received distributions. You shouldn't need to record a Transfer In or Out transaction, since you're using the wizard, but to answer your question: The transfer in allows you to enter an OOP cost (as well as tax basis cost). The transfer out automatically determines the reduction in OOP cost, based on the shares transferred out, so you don't need to enter it in this case. For more on this, see the online help for the Transfer Out dialog here:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/help ... r_out.html
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby surendar jeyadev » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:40 pm

Thanks. That worked fine, except that I had to edit the share price of the new investment even though I specified the shares and cost cost. Briefly, I enjoyed having > $ 9 million in my IRA!!

However, I now have another problem. In trying to hide to closed fund with showing, I hid the entire subportfolio. The only way I can make it visible again is to go to
the View menu and check the Hidden Investments/Portfolios. But this brings up all the sold
investments in all the subportfolios!! Trying to just hide the sold investments via
File -> File Operations -> Hide Sold Investments does nothing.

Right now I can see all sold investments and the IRA subportfolio or hide the sold investments
and the IRA subportfolio.

How do I get back to where I was?

thanks
sj
surendar jeyadev

Postby surendar jeyadev » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:46 pm

Mark,

No need to reply.

I managed to solve it, though not sure how. I think I am misreading the
"Hide" an "Unhide" in the context menus .... but I think that I am getting
the hang of it.

thanks
sj
surendar jeyadev

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:47 pm

Hi sj,

Un-check the hidden property of your sub-portfolio, and then turn back off "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios". To do this, right mouse click on your sub-portfolio, and choose "Properties...".

The "Hide Sold Investments" command turns on or off the hidden attribute of your investments. The status of these hidden attributes is only used when you have "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios" turned off.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions