Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Quote Module #457 & Yahoo problems

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Good_Vibe » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:40 am

Downloaded Quote Module #457 Tuesday of this week. On Wednesday about a third of the funds in my FundManager file failed to download from Yahoo. Repeated the request to "Retrieve Selected Prices" for each missed symbol (one-by-one!). Thursday, over half of the symbols were not updated from Yahoo. I repeated the request to "Retrieve Selected Prices" from Yahoo about a half dozen times until all symbols had been updated.

This morning (Friday), FundManager failed to update any prices from Yahoo.

Have not changed software on my computer nor any internet settings.

Am using FundManager Professional 12.9, quote module 457.

Can you help?
Thanks
Good_Vibe

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:44 am

Hi Good_Vibe,

I just tested the Yahoo retrieve from here, and things appear to be working properly. Are you seeing any error messages, or timeouts, or what specifically is going wrong? Are they always the same symbols that don't update? If so, can you give me an example ticker symbol to test from here?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Good_Vibe » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:53 am

Mark:

To answer your 1st question, it is not the same symbol each time. The error log is:

Retrieve Starting
Quote Module Version = 457
Retrieving from server: (YAHOO-HISTORICAL)
Requested Historical Retrieve Dates: 3/20/2014 - 3/20/2014
Requesting: GDX, POGRX, EWA, EPP, MACSX, USAIX, BCOIX, SWISX, RWO, DFITX, ARIIX, DODFX, EFA, ADRE, EEM, APGYX, ABVYX, AGG, FLTRX, NGREX, ^DJI, ^GSPC, ^IXIC, ^TNX, ^VIX, VEU, EITEX, FBGRX, DODIX, DLN, PRCIX, FEMKX, SIMTX, FKUTX, FSENX, IVW, IWD, LEXCX, MXI, PRGFX, PRNEX, PUI, WPC, RTM, UMBWX, SNDPX, SNEMX, SNIDX, TRBCX, VGTSX, VAW, VDE, VEIEX, VEIPX, VMLUX, VPU, VWO, XLB, XLE, XLU, XME
Could not update any investments
WARNING: Server did not update any prices.

These are the same symbols that I have been tracking for at least three months; so nothing has change there. The only change I can identify is the Quote Module 457.

I'm logged onto the same DSL that FundManage uses to retrieve quotes so I doubt that is the problem.

Thanks,
Phil
Good_Vibe

Postby Good_Vibe » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:55 am

Mark:

I told a small lie. The symbol GDX was added this week. Still doubt that is the problem since individual requests for quotes fail just like the fund-wide one does. Doesn't time out but doesn't retrieve any prices.

Thanks,
Phil
Good_Vibe

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:06 am

Hi Phil,

The problem is you are using "Yahoo (Historical)" and trying to get an almost current price. There is often a delay on Yahoo updating their "historical" prices. Instead, use just "Yahoo" to get the current quote. If you want to use "Yahoo (Historical)" try going back farther than just yesterday when requesting the date range.

You adjust your global server preferences under "Options / Internet Settings...". You can also override the server options on a per-investment basis under "Investment Properties... / Internet Retrieve".

A typical configuration is that you would set "Yahoo" for your "Default" quote server, and "Yahoo (Historical)" for your "Default Historical" quote server. You can then retrieve using either one with the toolbar or menu commands.

You can view for yourself if Yahoo has updated their historical prices yet by going to:

http://finance.yahoo.com

and looking up a symbol, and then clicking on "Historical Prices" on the left menu. You can see what their latest price is, as shown on their website.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Good_Vibe » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:19 am

Mark:

Really appreciate your lightening quick trouble-shooting and feedback. I have been using Yahoo Historical for about two+ years without incident. Tried Yahoo adjusted historical and still find a half dozen or so symbols have not been updated.

Indeed, the Yahoo (without any aspect of historical) works. However, this is not what I want. The straight-up Yahoo does not allow me to control the date range of the update.

How can I control the date range of the quote update without using the historical aspect?

Thanks,
Phil
Good_Vibe

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:22 am

Hi Phil,

I believe Yahoo may vary in how fast they update their historical database. You can still do things the way you have been, but just keep in mind that if something doesn't update you may just need to wait a day or so when using Yahoo (Historical). If you want to double check that there isn't a problem with FM's updating, you can go to Yahoo with your web browser and view how recent of historical prices they have available for symbols that won't update for you.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions