Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Max Gain picks wrong lots (?)

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby fmuser » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:31 pm

After I transfer lots between investments (both specific ident, and selecting specific ident on the transfer), the "Max Gain" button the the "Specify Lots" window picks transferred-in lots that have higher tax basis (and thus lower gain) than lots that were in the target investment before the transfer.

FM shows the correct "Price" (per share) for all lots in the "Specify Lots" window, and the transfer transactions show correct (total lot) tax basis information, but the "Max Gain" button does not select lots with the lowest price. FWIW, I have no transaction fees that would impact basis.

I'm trying to figure out if this is some kind of user error, or a defect in the version of FM I'm using (which I must admit is a bit old: 11.9). Any ideas?

George T
fmuser

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:48 pm

Hi George,

Can you email me a sample investment file, and some instructions to try and reproduce this problem here? I just took a quick test here, and the Max Gain button was working properly for my test case. I will send you an email, so you can reply to that with an attached investment file, and some instructions on how to reproduce the problem.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby fmuser » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:49 pm

Since our last attempt to sort this out, I upgraded to FM 2014 (now running level 2014.13.5) and I also transferred some shares to consolidate into a single brokerage account. Unfortunately, I still have the same problem: the "Max Gain" button picks the wrong lots.

If you want to send me another email with directions, I can send you my investment files.
fmuser

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:57 am

Hi fmuser,

Yes, please email me the one investment file (*.dat) along with instructions on how you're reproducing this problem. I have just sent you an email, so you can reply to that with the attached file/instructions.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions