Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Stock Prices Wrong

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby aneilljr » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:59 pm

I use Ameritrade. Tonight, when comparing the closing prices on Ameritrade to those prices provided by Yahoo, Reuters, MSN etc. The values are all different. I called Ameritrade and they checked against 3 MSN, Yahoo and Reuters and their closing prices all agreed. I cannot figure this out.
aneilljr

Postby Mark » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:53 pm

Hi aneilljr,

They seem to be updating okay when I test things from here, but someone else called in with a similar problem today.

Does the problem show up for investments updating from more than 1 server, or are the wrong prices only for investments being updated by a certain server?

Please try this to fix it:

1) Open Internet Explorer (it must be Internet Explorer, and not Chrome or Firefox), and go to Yahoo, and look up one of your quotes. Is it correct?

2) Click on the "Download data (delayed)" link in the lower right "Toolbox" section, and open up the downloaded quotes.csv file. Is the price in here correct?

3) If the prices were correct in both steps 1 and 2, now try the retrieve again in Fund Manager. Do the prices update correctly now? If not, try turning off "Options / Internet Settings... / Proxy Server / Use Windows Settings", and then try the retrieve again with this option off to see if that corrects things?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby aneilljr » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:03 am

After 3 days all are getting correct prices except yahoo that works only rarely again.
aneilljr

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:49 am

Hi aneilljr,

I believe the problem with Yahoo is a certain server of theirs not responding well. It may be that you are being directed to this problematic server. When I test it from here, Yahoo is working fine. Please open up a CMD prompt, and type this:

ping download.finance.yahoo.com

What IP address does it say you are going to for download.finance.yahoo.com?

You can force the resolution of Yahoo to the same Yahoo server I'm testing with, and see if that doesn't fix the Yahoo retrieving problem. To do this, edit this file with any text editor (like Notepad) as an admin:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

and at the bottom of this file, add this line:

67.195.141.200 download.finance.yahoo.com

Save the file. Test it by doing the ping again, and make sure it says it is going to the IP address 67.195.141.200. Once you confirm this, try your price retrieve in Fund Manager again, and see if that doesn't fix this problem.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions