Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Possible 12.9 issue

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby gmsimon » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:47 pm

Just installed 12.9 (Prof version) - When trying to retrieve prices, now getting message box indicating 'a connection with the server cannot be established' (error: WSAE 12029). Was working fine a few moments ago with version 12.8. Any ideas?
gmsimon

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi gmsimon,

Does it fail to connect if you switch to a different server, or is it specific to a single server? Often times when you update the program you may need to re-allow FM to access the internet, depending on any firewall software you may be using. If you can't connect to any server, this is a sign it is from your firewall.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby gmsimon » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:22 pm

Mark: this is a stand-alone home PC (connected to Internet using a wireless home network). Tried rebooting system & problem remained. Tried firing up my old Investment Account Manager software & it updates prices fine. Also tried Morningstar's portfolio manager & it updates fine as well. Went to Yahoo Finance & it retrieves price quotes fine as well.

Fund Manager 12.8 was updating my prices just fine right up until I installed 12.9. I also tried re-downloading & re-installing 12.9 but, again, problem remains. I am currently dead in the water. Any other ideas? Anyone else with this problem?
gmsimon

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:27 pm

Hi gmsimon,

I am talking about firewall software on your PC that can block access on a per-program basis. Since you updated FM, the exe was updated, and some firewall programs block new exe's until you give them permission. What firewall program are you using on your PC? Can you check and see if you have given FM permission to access the internet?

You can determine if the problem is due to a firewall or not by seeing if you can access any quote server from Fund Manager (it doesn't matter if other programs can access the internet). I realize the server you're using now isn't connecting, but what if you switch to a different server. Or, try going to "Help / FM on the Web / Check for Updates...". Does that work, or is it blocked too?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby gmsimon » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:49 pm

I tried 'check for updates' from FM - got same problem (also tried on a single stock changing from Yahoo Historical to Google Historical - same issue).

Went to Control Panel/Windows Firewall/Added Fund Manager to list of allowed programs (checked both Public & Private boxes). Restarted FM. Problem still exists.

I have downloaded/installed updates in past (12.8, 12.7, etc.) without any problem.

UPDATE:
Mark: I realized I have Norton 360 installed & this is the firewall being used. I went to Norton firewall & checked & FM was listed as "Auto" allowed. Didn't change anything but then went to FM and now it is working fine!!!

"Never mind" - sorry.
gmsimon

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:59 pm

Hi gmsimon,

Glad you got it working.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions