WinInet error code: 12031

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby twj332 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:43 pm

Thanks Mark

I guess I need upgrade now.

Terry
twj332

Postby aneilljr » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:42 pm

I may have stumbled onto the reason for this problem.

First let me say that the new update does not always, rarely works. However, I did learn that installing version 11.09.06xxxxx of IE works. The latest version of Chrome does not. I tried this 26 times without a glitch. Curious to see what others see.
aneilljr

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:47 pm

Hi aneilljr,

Are you talking about if you connect to Yahoo with your web browser? I didn't really follow what you did, and the results you saw? Are you saying that with the current 12.8 version, you're still seeing the 12031 errors when retrieving prices from Yahoo with Fund Manager? If so, do you have the "Persistent Request" option on? How many retries do you have it set to? Do you see it re-trying, if you watch the status dialog during the retrieve?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby aneilljr » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:53 am

Hi Mark,

Sorry, I was so excited that I guess my description was unintelligible. I downloaded 12.8 and the 12031 error persisted when downloading prices from Yahoo with Fund Manager. I set persistent request at 11 and watched as it reset.

I normally use the newest version of Chrome as my browser. I have no idea whether you depend on the browser software to run Fund Manager but suspecting you might, I switched to the very latest Internet Explorer. Voila! For at least an hour everything worked perfectly.

This morning I tried again but only 5 of my 7 accounts updated without a glitch. The other 2 required a manual retry. I was so disappointed. BTW, I am still using 12.8 set to 11 retries. It works better but the issue is still there.
aneilljr

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:03 am

Hi aneilljr,

Thanks for the clarification. Boy this is a tough one... Fund Manager has no relationship with Chrome, so updating that should not impact Fund Manager. However, if you have on the option: "Options / Internet Settings / Proxy Server / Use Windows Settings" then Fund Manager does use a module of Windows called WinInit.dll to handle the low level details of making the internet request. This module may well be updated with newer versions of IE. If you turn off this option, Fund Manager itself handles everything, and there should be no relationship to IE.

Could you try a few experiments? Please try these:

1) Perform a tracert, to see which Yahoo server you are ending up at. From within Windows, go to "Start / Run..." and in the "Open" box, type in "cmd" and then press OK. This should open up an old DOS looking command prompt window, where you can type:

tracert download.finance.yahoo.com

Please either post or email me the results of this. I would like to see if you happen to be going to a certain Yahoo server. For example, when I do this, you can see I end up going to:

download.finance.fy6.b.yahoo.com [67.195.148.105]

2) Open up IE, and go here:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=INTC&ql=1

In the lower/right there is a link in the "Toolbox" section to "Download Data (delayed)". If you click on that, does it download a CSV file okay? What if you repeat this like 10 times, does it ever error out, or does it always download okay? If you then retrieve prices for the INTC investment using FM at the nearly same time, is it working okay? I'm just trying to determine if you can see the same problem using IE as opposed to FM, so at a time when the problem is occurring in FM , does IE have the same problem?

3) Is there a difference in reliability when you have on the "Use Windows Settings" option I mentioned above? Please try retrieving a few times with this option ON, and then a few times with it OFF. Does one work better than the other? If you get an error with it OFF, what is the specific error message in this case? It should not be the same as when it is ON.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby aneilljr » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:25 pm

Hi Mark,

I just unchecked "Use Windows Settings in IE 11 and Yahoo works perfectly using your 2.8.

I performed your tests and achieved the following:

1. I went to various addresses. Sorry, but I do not know how to send you the DOS window.

I will try to do the rest tomorrow. Right now it is working perfectly with the aforementioned change.
aneilljr

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:46 pm

Hi aneilljr,

If it is working fine that way, you can just keep it under that setting. No need to do the rest of those tests if it is working okay for you.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby moonlighter » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:55 pm

I also get this error using v12.7, but not every time. Occurs running price update module using Yahoo! as the source. I am able to get the price updates ok most of the time, the error just pops up occasionally. I'll try upgrading to v12.8 and see if that helps.
:mrgreen:
moonlighter

Previous

Return to Prices and Transactions