PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

WinInet error code: 12031

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby rupertpage » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:47 pm

Hi Mark

When updating prices I am getting this error code

followed by : WSAE:12031

Is this a firewall problem? What is the solution?

Thanks, Rupert
rupertpage

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:50 pm

Hi Rupert,

1) Do you get this every time you retrieve, or is it intermittent?

2) Does it matter which quote server you use? If yes, what quote server are you getting it with?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rupertpage » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:37 am

I am using : download.finance.yahoo.com (predominantly UK stocks)

It has been happening every time I download prices. Initially I get the WinInet error code: 12029
(connection with the server failed) and then (after pressing ok) I get the WinInet error code: 12031 (connection with the server reset)

However if I press ok it does seem that the prices are being uploaded.

I did check my windows firewall settings and made sure that I had fundmanger permitted
rupertpage

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:46 am

Hi Rupert,

We have had a few other recent reports of this issue when using Yahoo. We haven't been able to reproduce it here though. It appears like the problem is coming from Yahoo's end, and only affects certain connections.

1) What if you switch to a different quote server, like Google or Bloomberg? Does the problem persist?

2) If you only retrieve a single quote by right mouse clicking on 1 investment, and choosing "Retrieve Selected Price", does that also cause the error?

3) What firewall software do you use?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby milli1905 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:15 am

Hi Mark,

I have the same issue, I get a mix of error codes 12029 and 12152. The error codes only appear for downloads from Yahoo. I have allowed fundmanager in the firewall.
I use downloads from Bloomberg and Yahoo.

This started after installing the updated quote application a week ago or so. When downloading prices the error popup appears between 5 and 15 - 20 times each time I download prices.
milli1905

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:20 am

Hi milli1905,

Thanks for the info. I have had others with this problem revert to the prior quote module (450), and the problem persists. I don't think it is related to the recent quote module update, but you can try it to see if things change for you. To go back to 450, download 12.7 from our site now at:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/download.html

That download comes with the 450 quote module.

If you retrieve just a single quote from Yahoo by using the "Retrieve Selected Price" on a single investment, do you still get this error? Have you noticed anything else that may help isolate this problem? It seems to only happen to some people.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby aneilljr » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:47 am

Hi Mark,

I have been dealing with this issue for several weeks. It only happens with yahoo. Yahoo is much faster than the others so that is why people prefer it. The error occurs even when you try to download the price of one stock. On rare occasions it works perfectly but most of the time I get both errors in sequence.
aneilljr

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:57 am

Hi aneilljr,

Thanks for the information. This problem does seem to be affecting a fair number of people over the last week or so, but not everyone. I've also tried to reproduce it with someone else's data who was having this problem, but couldn't. It seems to be specific to your internet connection to Yahoo. Some are affected, and some aren't, and it doesn't matter what data or quote module version you use. It also seems to be intermittent, as sometimes quotes are updated, and sometimes these errors are reported. This makes for a difficult problem to track down, especially since we aren't able to reproduce it here.

1) Have you noticed any particular time of day that the error happens more often?

2) Do you get the same error with "Yahoo (Historical)" as you do if you use "Yahoo"?

3) If you use your web browser, and try to download a quote from Yahoo, do you get any errors? For example, can you download the CSV quote file by going to:

http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quo ... hgv&e=.csv

4) If you turn off the option "Options / Internet Settings... / Proxy Server / Use Windows Settings", does that work without any errors, or do you get some different error?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby aneilljr » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:14 pm

Qu.1: Any time I use Yahoo now, I get the error.

Qu. 2: No error with Yahoo Historical

Qu. 3: I get an excel spreadsheet with INTC values

Qu. 4: No difference either way.
aneilljr

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:16 pm

Hi aneilljr,

Thanks for the information. I'm not sure how to debug this particular issue more at this point, as it isn't reproducible here. I would suggest switching to a different quote server for a week or so, and see if the problem hasn't resolved itself after a while. I somehow suspect it has to do with Yahoo, and your particular connection path to their servers. If you're still having the problem in another week, you can call the office. We can connect in, and see if we can't trace/debug it a little further.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby milli1905 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:58 am

Hi Mark,

I switched to 12.7. The error popups are not as frequent. I made10 retrievals and the average error rate is about 2 as opposed to at least 10 before the change. I've even had some price revivals without any error messages.
milli1905

Postby milli1905 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:47 am

Hi Mark,

I have recorded the download process including error messages.

How can I send the file to you?
milli1905

Postby twj332 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:11 pm

I am on personal version 11.9
quote module 451
transaction module 180

for the first time today I am getting the WinInet error 12029 with message connection with the sever could not be established

Terry
twj332

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:56 pm

Hi milli1905,

I have sent you an email, you can reply to that with this information.

Hi Terry,

If you are only getting 12029, and it never works, that is usually your firewall blocking Fund Manager. If the problem is only with Yahoo, then it wouldn't be your firewall.

From all the evidence so far it is looking like some of Yahoo's servers are for some reason disconnecting connections, and/or refusing them. To address this we plan to release an update that will retry a certain number of times, before reporting these errors.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:24 pm

For anyone having this problem when retrieving from Yahoo, please download the just released version 12.8 from our download page:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/download.html

This new version attempts to address this issue by automatically re-trying the quote retrieve without issuing an error message box. You can control whether it re-tries, and how many times it will do so before failing. Use the "Persistent Request X Times" option under "Options / Internet Settings...". Turn on this option, and start with a value like 5. If necessary you can increase the re-try count until the retrieve completes without any displayed error message boxes.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Next

Return to Prices and Transactions