Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

automatic dividend booking : issues.

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby gbfabiani » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:58 am

Hi, since a few month ( maybe with release 12.7 ??) I have dividends on shares automatically recorded as transactions. (until then, I always booked it manually, leaving in Italy I have no automatic connection between Fundmanager and my bank acounts).

This automatic booking create me issues :

a) the system books the full gross amount of the dividend : being in Italy and being taxed twice, I prefer instead to book the net value , from the bank receipt.

b) the date is the distrubution one , fine, but I am credited one month later , and with a different currency rate

c) I tried to keep the existing automatic booking, modifying values (net rather than gross) and date, but I can't touch the currency rate and , most relevant , if i modify/delete the transaction , it looks like I have no correct changes in the bank account recordings . ( to be sure I explain myselgìf, if I change the amount , it changes only in the stock/dividend part, and not on the bank cash account.

So at the moment I have to manually cancel the entries, check, they have been removed fro m the cash account (as sait it doesn't happen) , and rebook manually.

How can I avoid this automatic transaction being recorded ( or , even better, canI have a screen when I can modify amount, date and currency rate , being sure cash account is updated ?) many, thanks amd ... hapy new year
giovanni
gbfabiani

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:59 am

Hi giovanni,

The only sources for automatically updating are dividends are either from your broker, importing transactions from a file, or if you retrieve prices from "Yahoo (Historical)" and are using the Professional/Advisor version. I'm guessing you are getting these updates when you retrieve historical prices using Yahoo (Historical). If you don't want the dividends, there is a check mark on the retrieve dialog, so you can choose not to get dividends, and also there is a choice for splits.

You should be able to modify any details of the dividend, including the exchange rate. To change the exchange rate you would have to check the option "Specify Exchange Rate to Default". Otherwise, if you leave this un-checked your global exchange rate settings will be used.

If the cash was automatically deposited into your cash account, this should automatically update when you make an edit. Is your cash investment assigned as your default cash account in the sub-portfolio properties? Is the initial cash entry being recorded automatically, or are you entering that value?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby gbfabiani » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:36 am

Hi Mark, thanks for your answer, I try to comment to it to ask for further support

Yes it looks like Yahoo historical did transfer the infos ( I can't in Italy connect to my accounts automatically, so my booking is 100% manual) , and Yes I use the professional version. I remember I saw the option to thick fro the dividends, but I couldn'tt find today, can you please tell me where is it ? thanks.

"You should be able to modify any details of the dividend" .... That was my favorite option, but with my surprise it looks like if I modify a transaction generated by the system (imported by Yahoo historical) the connection with the connected cash account is not working properly . I just tried to edit the dividend value of GE , and rather than have the line of the cash being updated, it created a second transaction in the cash account , without updating the right line ( and giving me 2 dividends in the cash !) .

I think the cash account in the portfolio are properly connected ( It is now 2and 1/2 years I use it) and in general I have little issues when I modify entries . I don't know if these issues I have got in trying to modify the dividend entries generated by yahoo depends upon something different in the transaction structure compared with a manually generated dividend entry ( which I am suce canbemodified many times without any cash correspondence issue). Thanks !!
gbfabiani

Postby gbfabiani » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:52 am

Mark, I made further trials and it looks like I can modify the dividend entries. One or two initial experiments didn't work, but a dozen did since. Apologize for the imprecise info
regards
giovanni
gbfabiani

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:57 pm

Hi giovanni,

That option is shown on the dialog when you retrieve historical prices. There are a few different possible menu commands to get there, but "Edit / Internet Retrieve / Historical Prices..." is one of the ways. It is the dialog where you get to specify the date range to request.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions